Register as a provider

Page last updated: 30 May 2024

You need to register with us if you plan to provide a regulated activity.

You should put time into preparing your application. Our registration assessment process is rigorous - you will need to be able to show how you will meet our quality statements to deliver high-quality person-centred care.

We will reject any application that is incomplete. You cannot legally provide care services unless we approve your registration.

When to submit an application to register

You should submit your application when everything is in place to start providing your services. This includes having the locations and staff ready to provide services.

What to prepare before applying to register

We need to establish that you will provide services that are safe, effective, caring, responsive to people’s needs and well-led. You will be asked to show evidence of this during your application.

Before you apply, you should:

Register a manager

You must have a registered manager if you are registering as an:

  • organisation or partnership
  • individual and you are not responsible for the day-to-day running of the regulated activity

Service outside of England

If you plan to also offer services in Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland, you may have to register with the relevant local regulatory authority as well.

Service for autistic people and people with a learning disability

You must comply with our guidance on services for autistic people and people with a learning disability. We encourage you to talk to us about your ideas at an early stage of planning your service. This will help you consider whether the service you plan would be suitable to meet people’s needs.

Homecare service providing personal care

The business you propose must be robust and everyone employed must be properly trained and experienced. Read our advice on homecare agencies: personal care applications. If you apply for registration you will need to demonstrate that you meet our regulatory requirements.

Ambulance service

Check if you need to register with us as an ambulance service.

How to apply

You need to apply to register online using our provider portal.

You must complete the application yourself.

During the application, we will ask for:

  • your business information, including registration history, location, and the services you offer
  • the website address for your business - this must be in the format "https://www.[name of website]"
  • who the registered manager of the service is
  • how your service will meet the standards set out in our quality statements
  • the aims and objectives of your service - when combined with the rest of your application, this will form your statement of purpose

We classify providers according to the services they provide. Our application forms set out the options for settings and services for you to select.

We will assess your application on the completeness and relevance of what you say.

How long does it take to register as a provider

Once we receive your application, we will:

  • review the application and ask for more information if needed
  • book a date to complete a site visit, if needed
  • arrange an interview with you
  • involve your nominated individual and proposed registered manager if you need one

Our registration assessment process is rigorous and can take some time. You cannot manage regulated activities until we have confirmed that you are registered. This can take a few months. We will let you know the outcome of our decision by email.

We assess all applications in the order we receive them. If your application is urgent, check our guidance on making an urgent application.

Apply to register as a new provider

If you have problems trying to submit your application online, contact

Find out more

What is registration

Scope of registration

Other UK regulators

Scotland: Health Improvement Scotland

Wales: Health Inspectorate Wales

Northern Ireland: The Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority

Home office controlled drugs licence

If your service will be using controlled drugs, you might need a Home Office controlled drugs licence.

If you do, you must apply for this as soon as possible. Once the Home Office has accepted a valid application, it may take up to 16 weeks to contact you to arrange a compliance visit, if you need one.