• Doctor
  • GP practice

Tuxford Medical Centre

Overall: Good

The Surgery, Faraday Avenue, Tuxford, Newark, Nottinghamshire, NG22 0HT (01777) 870203

Provided and run by:
Tuxford Medical Centre

Latest inspection summary

On this page

Background to this inspection

Updated 10 September 2019

Tuxford Medical Centre is registered with CQC to provide primary care services, which includes access to GPs, family planning, surgical procedures, maternity and midwifery, treatment of disease, disorder or injury and diagnostic and screening procedures. It provides GP services for patients living in the Tuxford area of Newark.

The practice has three GP partners, one female and two male, and three practice nurses, two health care assistants and a pharmacist. There is a practice manager and a dispensing, reception and administration team.

The practice was open 8:30am to 6:30pm on Monday to Friday. Patients can book appointments through a same day triage service in person, via the phone, email and online.

When the practice is closed patients can access the out of hours NHS 111 service. The practice offered a dispensing service to the patients it served.

The practice is part of NHS Bassetlaw Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG). It is responsible for providing primary care services to 4,773 patients under a General Medical Services (GMS) contract. The practice has a higher than average patient population over 65 years. The National General Practice Profile states that 98.1% of the practice population is from a white background. The remaining 1.9% of patients are from Asian, black, mixed or other non-white ethnic groups. Information published by Public Health England, rates the level of deprivation within the practice population group as seven, on a scale of one to ten. Level one represents the highest levels of deprivation and level ten the lowest. Male life expectancy is 81 years compared to the national average of 79 years. Female life expectancy is 83 years equal to the national average of 83 years.

Overall inspection

Good

Updated 10 September 2019

We carried out an announced comprehensive inspection at Tuxford Medical Centre on 11 July 2019 as part of our inspection programme.

We decided to undertake an inspection of this service following our annual review of the information available to us. This inspection looked at the following two key questions

Are services effective?

Are services well led?

We based our judgement of the quality of care at this service on a combination of:

  • what we found when we inspected
  • information from our ongoing monitoring of data about services and
  • information from the provider, patients, the public and other organisations.

We have rated this practice as good overall and good for all population groups except for patients with long term conditions which is rated as outstanding.

We found that:

  • Patients received effective care and treatment that met their needs.
  • The way the practice was led and managed promoted the delivery of high-quality, person-centre care.

Whilst we found no breaches of regulations, the provider should:

  • Review and improve systems to monitor implementation of the training programme and completion of training by staff.
  • Review and improve childhood immunisation uptake to meet World Health Organisation (WHO) targets.
  • Review and improve the practice’s speaking up policies so these are in line with the NHS Improvement Raising Concerns (Whistleblowing) Policy.

Details of our findings and the evidence supporting our ratings are set out in the evidence tables.