About the service:
Hillcrest is a residential care home that is registered to provide personal care for up to five adults with learning disabilities and autism.
The service worked within the principles and values that underpin Registering the Right Support and other best practice guidance. This ensured that people could live as full a life as possible and achieve the best possible outcomes. The principles reflect the need for people with learning disabilities and/or autism to live meaningful lives that include control over their own lives, choice, and independence.
People’s experience of using this service:
• People received safe care and were protected against avoidable harm, neglect and discrimination.
• Risks to people’s safety were assessed and strategies were put in place to reduce the risks.
• The recruitment practices ensured suitable staff were employed to work at the service and staff were employed in sufficient numbers to meet people’s needs.
• Peoples medicines were safely managed.
• Systems were in place to control and prevent the spread of infection.
• People’s needs were assessed to ensure the service could meet their needs.
• Staff received an induction and ongoing training that enabled them to have the skills and knowledge to provide effective care.
• People were supported to maintain good nutrition and hydration.
• Staff supported people to live healthier lives and access to healthcare services.
• People were supported to have maximum choice and control of their lives and staff supported them in the least restrictive way possible.
• Staff treated people with kindness, compassion and respect.
• People were supported to express their views and be involved in making decisions about their care.
• People were involved in planning their care and in on-going reviews of their care.
• Systems were in place to continuously monitor the quality of the service.
• The service worked in partnership with outside agencies.
Last Inspection Rating:
Requires Improvement (report published on 27/04/2018).
The service met the characteristics for a rating of ‘good’ in all five key questions we inspected. Therefore, our overall rating for the service after this inspection was ‘Good’.
Why we inspected:
This was a planned inspection.
We will continue to monitor the service through the information we receive until we return to visit as per our re-inspection programme. If any concerning information is received, we may inspect sooner.
For more details, please see the full report which is on the CQC website at www.cqc.org.uk