You are here

Archived: Antrim House

The provider of this service changed - see new profile

All reports

Inspection report

Date of Inspection: 10 December 2012
Date of Publication: 25 January 2013
Inspection Report published 25 January 2013 PDF

People should be cared for in a clean environment and protected from the risk of infection (outcome 8)

Enforcement action taken

We checked that people who use this service

  • Providers of services comply with the requirements of regulation 12, with regard to the Code of Practice for health and adult social care on the prevention and control of infections and related guidance.

How this check was done

We looked at the personal care or treatment records of people who use the service, carried out a visit on 10 December 2012, observed how people were being cared for and talked with people who use the service. We talked with staff.

Our judgement

People were not protected from the risk of infection because appropriate guidance had not been followed.

Reasons for our judgement

We spoke with people at the dental practice, but their comments did not relate to this outcome.

Our inspection of 6 August 2012 had found that the decontamination process of instruments used for dental treatment was inappropriate, which placed people at risk of health acquired infections.

During this inspection, whilst we found that some treatment rooms had improved, we found that arrangements continued to be inappropriate in one particular treatment room. Instruments used at dental surgeries need to be sterilised before use to ensure that the risk of infection is minimised. Instruments that have been sterilised should be put in pouches with the date it was sterilised, and the date that it expires, after that, it would need to be re-sterilised.

We looked at a number of drawers within one treatment room. We found that the date had expired on instruments that had been sterilised. This meant that there was a risk that unsafe instruments would be used, which would put people at risk. We found that there were some instruments in unsealed packages, which meant we could not be sure that the instruments were sterilised appropriately. We saw that one instrument which was in a pouch had no date on it. This meant we were unable to find out when the instrument was sterilised, and whether it needed to be re-sterilised before use.

We found cups that were exposed at the area where people would rinse their mouth. The practice manager told us that the cups should have been put in a bag to ensure they were not exposed. We found that tray lining paper used to cover sterile dental instruments was also exposed. This increased the risk of the tray lining paper being contaminated, which would also contaminate the instruments placed on them. We found that equipment which should have been covered with a bag, were not consistently covered. This meant that improvements had not been made consistently in all treatment rooms to ensure that the risk of infection was minimised.

We found that dental nurses should carry out regular checks to ensure the treatment rooms were cleaned, instruments checked, and instruments covered. We looked at the records for the treatment room where we found concerns. We found that the treatment room had not been checked for around three weeks. The practice manager told us that these checks should have been carried out. This meant that regular checks to ensure that instruments were safe for use were not completed consistently, and this had not been identified or addressed prior to our inspection.