Where to find help

Page last updated: 12 May 2022

Support and advice

If you've been affected by the issues our report raises and you'd like to talk to someone, the following charities offer free support.

Action against Medical Accidents (AvMA)
AvMA is an independent charity which provides free specialist advice and support to people who have been affected by lapses in patient safety.
Helpline: 0845 123 23 52 (Monday to Friday 9:30am-3:30pm)

Cruse Bereavement Care
Cruse Bereavement Care is a national charity for bereaved people in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. It offers support, advice and information to children, young people and adults when someone dies and works to enhance society's care of bereaved people.

Facing the Future
Developed by Samaritans and Cruse Bereavement Care, Facing the Future runs support groups for people bereaved by suicide.

INQUEST Charitable Trust covers England and Wales. The Inquest Handbook is free of charge to all bereaved families and friends who have been affected by a sudden death. You can download the handbook from INQUEST's website or email inquest@inquest.org.uk, providing your full postal address.

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman makes final decisions on complaints that have not been resolved by the NHS in England, UK government departments and other UK public organisations. You can contact the ombudsman if you believe an organisation has not acted properly or fairly or has given a poor service and not put things right.

Samaritans offer round-the-clock support by phone on 116 123, which is free to call. They can also be contacted by email, text and letter, or you can speak to them face-to-face at one of their branches.

How to tell us about your experience

We listen to people's experiences of care to help us monitor and inspect care services. By giving us this information, you can help us to improve the overall quality of care in England. You'll also help us prevent poor care happening to others in the future. While we can't support complaints or take them up on your behalf, your information will help us to protect others from going through the same experience.

Give feedback on care

You can also call us on 03000 616161.