You are here
CQC inspectors publish reports on 61 more GP practices
The Care Quality Commission has published a further 61 reports on the quality of care provided by GP practices that have been inspected under its new approach.
Following recent inspections by specialist teams, 51 practices have been rated as Good, five have been rated Requires Improvement, three have been rated Inadequate, one has been rated Outstanding and one was a focused inspection.
Under CQC’s new programme of inspections, all of England’s GP practices are being given a rating according to whether they are safe, effective, caring, responsive and well led.
Professor Steve Field, Chief Inspector of General Practice, said:
“We know that the vast majority of England's GPs are providing a service which is safe, effective, caring, responsive and well led. If that is what we find on inspection - we give it a rating of Good, and I congratulate the GPs and staff in these practices.
“Patients should be able to expect high quality and consistent care from every GP practice. Where we have required improvement, we will expect the practice to take the necessary steps to address the issue, and we will return at a later date to check that those improvements have been made.
"If we find a practice to be Inadequate, we will put it into special measures, to allow the practice to access support available from NHS England and to ensure there is a coordinated response to help the practice improve.”
Full reports on all 61 inspections are available on this website.
GP Practices listed by CCG area and rating:
- Dysart Surgery, Bromley: Outstanding
- Addison House – Haque Practice, West Essex: Good
- Almondsbury Surgery , South Gloucestershire: Good
- Ambleside Health Centre, Cumbria: Good
- Birchington Medical Centre, Thanet: Good
- Bridgegate Surgery, Bassetlaw: Good
- Bridgeway Practice, Nottingham City: Good
- Churchill Medical Centre, Kingston upon Thames: Good
- Clifton Court Medical Practice, NHS Darlington: Good
- Craven Arms Medical Practice, NHS Shropshire : Good
- Dr C P Myers and Dr N R Ravi, NHS Rotherham: Good
- Dr Emad Gabrawi, Sheffield: Good
- Dr Geraldine Golden & Dr Michael Abu, Brent: Good
- Dr Karim Ladha, NHS Sandwell and West Birmingham : Good
- Dr Kieran Pressley, Sheffield: Good
- Dr M Flynn's Practice, Liverpool: Good
- Dr Marimithu Velmurugan, Mid Essex: Good
- Dr Muhammad Shahzad, Harrow: Good
- Dr Thomas Guilder, Surrey Downs : Good
- Dr Thorniley-Walker and Partners, NHS South Tyneside: Good
- Dukes Avenue Practice, NHS Haringey : Good
- Ellesmere Medical Practice, NHS Shropshire : Good
- Glenlyn Medical Centre, Surrey Downs : Good
- Highcliffe medical practice , NHS Dartford, Gravesham and Swanley : Good
- Hurley Clinic, Lambeth: Good
- Kings Cross Road Surgery, Camden: Good
- Leap Valley Surgery, South Gloucestershire: Good
- McKenzie House, Hartlepool and Stockton-on-Tees: Good
- Nelson Medical Group, North Tyneside: Good
- Newton Heath Medical Centre, North Manchester: Good
- Oakley and Overton Partnership, North Hampshire: Good
- Plympton Health Centre, North devon and Plymouth: Good
- Sandy Lane Surgery, NHS Mansfield & Ashfield : Good
- Simpson Medical Practice, North Manchester: Good
- Southmead and Henbury Family Practice, Bristol : Good
- St Gabriel’s Medical Centre, Bury: Good
- St James Medical Centre, NHS west KENT : Good
- St Werburgh Medical Practice, NHS Medway : Good
- Stafford Medical Group , North Somerset: Good
- Tadcaster Medical Centre, Vale of York: Good
- Tall Trees Surgery, Bassetlaw: Good
- The Broomwood Road Surgery, Bromley: Good
- The Hanway Group Practice, NHS Portsmouth : Good
- The Ridgeway Surgery, NHS Sutton: Good
- Waltham Road Medical Centre, NHS Medway : Good
- Wellfield Medical Centre, NHS North Manchester : Good
- West Barnes Surgery, NHS Merton: Good
- Wheal Northey Surgery, Kernow: Good
- Whitley Road Medical Centre, NHS North Manchester : Good
- Willow Tree Surgery, Bristol: Good
- Woodland Road Surgery, Kernow: Good
- Woodlands Surgery at Eden House, Cambridgeshire and Peterborough : Good
- Bottreaux Surgery, Kernow: Requires improvement
- Dr Ali and Partners, NHS Birmingham Crosscity : Requires improvement
- Meadow View Surgery, Ealing: Requires improvement
- South Wigston Health Centre, East Leicestershire and Rutland : Requires improvement
- Springcliffe Surgery , NHS Lincolnshire West: Requires improvement
- Hylton Medical Group, Sunderland: Inadequate
- The Old Forge Surgery, Sunderland: Inadequate
- The Orchard Surgery, Slough: Inadequate
- North Chelmsford NHS Healthcare Centre, Mid Essex: N/A
For media enquiries about the Care Quality Commission, please call the press office on 020 7448 9401 during office hours. Journalists wishing to speak to the press office outside of office hours can find out how to contact the team here (please note: the duty press officer is unable to advise members of the public on health or social care matters). For general enquiries, please call 03000 61 61 61.
- Last updated:
- 29 May 2017
Notes to editors
Please note that we have published separate press releases on the practices rated Outstanding and Inadequate.
These are among the first GP practices to receive a rating following the introduction of our new inspection regime, which features specialist teams including GPs and practice nurses and trained members of the public.
To get to the heart of people’s experiences of care, we always ask the following five questions of services.
- Are they safe?
- Are they effective?
- Are they caring?
- Are they responsive to people’s needs?
- Are they well-led?
For every NHS GP practice we will look at the quality of care for the following six population groups: Older people, People with long-term conditions, Families, children and young people, Working age people (including those recently retired and students), People whose circumstances may make them vulnerable, People experiencing poor mental health (including people with dementia).
Since 1 April, providers have been required to display their ratings on their premises and on their websites so that the public can see their rating quickly and easily. Further information on the requirement for providers to prominently display their CQC ratings.