You are here
CQC inspectors publish reports on 33 dental practices in England
The Care Quality Commission published reports on the quality of care provided by 33 dental practices in England last week.
The practices that we have reported on are:
- Atlantic Clinic Ltd, Southampton: Dental Compliant
- Brightlingsea Dental Practice, North East Essex: Dental Compliant
- Burnham House Dental Practice, Somerset: Dental Compliant
- Churchview Dental Practice, Doncaster: Dental Compliant
- Churchview Dental Practice(Doncaster) Limited, Doncaster: Dental Compliant
- Corner House Dental Practice, Hastings and Rother: Dental Compliant
- Cornerways Dental Practice, Coastal West Sussex: Dental Compliant
- Dentcare1 Boston, Lincolnshire East: Dental Compliant
- Diamond Dental Care, Mansfield and Ashfield: Dental Compliant
- Dr Hinal Patel - Epsom, Surrey Downs: Dental Compliant
- Elvet Dental Practice, North Durham: Dental Compliant
- Gants Hill, Redbridge: Dental Compliant
- Havant Health Centre, South Eastern Hampshire: Dental Compliant
- HB Dental Practice, Bromley: Dental Compliant
- I J Kellam Ltd, Doncaster: Dental Compliant
- J Tan Dental Surgery, South Eastern Hampshire: Dental Compliant
- Just Smile, West Norfolk: Dental Compliant
- Mydentist - Albion Road - Earby, East Lancashire: Dental Compliant
- Newmarket Road Dentistry, Cambridgeshire and Peterborough: Dental Compliant
- Pennypot Dental New Romney, South Kent Coast: Dental Compliant
- Royal Mews Dental Practice, Southend: Dental Compliant
- Skellow Dental Practice, Doncaster: Dental Compliant
- Slipshoe Street Dental Surgery, East Surrey: Dental Compliant
- Space Healthcare, South Warwickshire: Dental Compliant
- Specialist Dental Care Limited, Airedale, Wharfedale and Craven: Dental Compliant
- St Peter's Lodge Dental Practice, Herts Valleys: Dental Compliant
- The Dental Practice, Southwark: Dental Compliant
- The Maltings Dental Surgery, Herts Valleys: Dental Compliant
- The Surgery North Chailey, High Weald Lewes Havens: Dental Compliant
- Warrington House Dental Practice, Bristol: Dental Compliant
- Wistaria Dental Practice, Northern, Eastern and West Devon: Dental Compliant
- Zen Clinic Limited, North East Essex: Dental Compliant
- Elder Tree Dental Practice, Castle Point and Rochford: Dental Breach
- Newport Dental Practice, Telford and Wrekin: Dental Breach
CQC’s new approach to inspecting dental services:
CQC’s approach to inspecting dental services uses specially trained dental inspectors, accompanied by specialist advisors who are usually qualified dentists or dental care professionals. Similarly to the other health and social care sectors inspected by CQC, dental reports describe whether services provided are safe, effective, caring, responsive and well-led. Our inspections check that practices are meeting the fundamental standards and regulations that came into force on 1 April 2015.
CQC plans to inspect 10 per cent of England’s 10,000 dental practices. Unlike most sectors regulated by CQC, primary care dental services will not be given a rating.
Professor Steve Field, Chief Inspector of General Practice (Primary Medical Services and Integrated Care Directorate), said:
"We know that the quality of care provided by most dentists meets the fundamental standards required by law and, and that is reflected in the reports we have published so far.
"If we find that a dental practice is failing to meet the required standard - we will expect them to provide us with a full plan setting out how they will address the issue, and we will return to check that they have made the required improvements.
“However good the general picture, we are not complacent. In the first years of inspection, CQC did identify some examples of unacceptable standards of care. Our main priority must be to ensure that we protect the public from unsafe care by continuing to inspect against the regulations and taking action that encourages improvement.”
For further information, please contact John Scott, Regional Engagement Manager on 07789875809. Journalists wishing to speak to the press office outside of office hours can find out how to contact the team here. Please note: the press office is unable to advise members of the public on health or social care matters. For general enquiries, please call 03000 61 61 61.
- Last updated:
- 21 November 2017
Notes to editors
For primary care dental services, our approach to inspecting and regulating will assess whether or not a provider is meeting the new Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Regulated Activities) Regulations 2014, which include the new fundamental standards.
The services that CQC select for inspection will include practices that present a risk or concern raised by the public or other stakeholders, alongside a random selection of practices, including many already providing high quality services for the public.
We have published our provider handbook for dental services, including the Key Lines of Enquiry used by inspectors on inspection, on our website.