You are here
Inspecting children's services
We are responsible for inspecting all registered health services provided to children and work in partnership with other inspectorates.
Children Looked After and Safeguarding Reviews (CLAS)
Our review programme is evaluating the effectiveness of safeguarding arrangements and the quality of health provision to children looked after and care leavers. Find out details of the CLAS programme and view reports.
Joint Targeted Area Inspection Programme (JTAI)
These inspections of local authority areas are carried out in partnership with Ofsted, HM Inspectorate of Constabulary, HM Inspectorate of Probation and, where relevant, HM Inspectorate of Prisons. They look at the effectiveness of front-line safeguarding and how well the different agencies work together.
- Multi-agency response to child sexual abuse in the family environment (February 2020)
- Growing up neglected: a multi-agency response to older children (July 2018)
- Joint inspections of the response to child sexual abuse in the family environment: August 2018
- Joint inspections of the response to children experiencing neglect: May to December 2017
- Joint inspections of the response to children living with domestic abuse: September 2016 to March 2017
- Joint inspections of child sexual exploitation and missing children: February to August 2016
Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) inspections
This joint programme with Ofsted evaluates implementation of the reforms introduced by the Children and Families Act 2014. Find out more in videos about SEND inspections and an Ofsted inspector's blog.
Inspections started in May 2016 and look at how:
- well education, social care and health services work together in partnership to identify those children and young people (aged 0 – 25) who have SEND and/or a disability
- they assess their needs
- they meet their needs.
Inspection outcome letters are published on Ofsted's website.
We worked with Ofsted to inspect childrens services in each English local authority area. Download our detailed reports from our A-Z list of integrated inspections of safeguarding and the care of looked-after children.
- Last updated:
- 06 February 2020