You are here

Contact details for healthcare complaints

  • Public

You may find these details of other organisations useful if you want to make a complaint about a healthcare service in England.

Health Service Ombudsman  |  NHS Complaints Advocacy Service  |  Action against Medical Accidents (AvMA)  |  Independent Sector Complaints Adjudication Service (ISCAS)General Dental Council (GDC) | General Medical Council (GMC)  |  General Optical Council  |  General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC)Health and Care  Professions Council  |  Nursing and Midwifery Council  |  Prisons and Probation Ombudsman |  Information Commissioner  |  The Law Society

Health Service Ombudsman

If you are not happy with how an NHS trust responds to your complaint, you can ask the Parliamentary Health Service Ombudsman to look into your case.

Tel: 0345 015 4033

NHS Complaints Advocacy Service

NHS Complaints Advocacy Service supports people who have made a complaint about the NHS. Your local NHS Complaints Advocacy Service representative can advise you about which organisations might be able to help with your complaint and at what stage you should approach them.

SEAP (South West, South Central and South East of England)

Tel: 0330 440 9000

Carers Federation  (North East, North West, Yorks & Humber) 


POhWER (East of England, East Midlands, London and West Midlands)

POhWER provide the NHS Complaints Advocacy service in the following areas: Bedford Borough, Bedford Central, Cambridgeshire, Derbyshire, Dudley, Hertfordshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Luton, Milton Keynes, Norfolk, Nottinghamshire, Peterborough, Rutland, Sandwell, Shropshire, Solihull, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, Telford & Wrekin, Thurrock, London Borough of Waltham Forest, and Warwickshire.

Tel: 0300 456 2370


VoiceAbility provide the NHS Complaints Advocacy service in the following areas: Barnsley, Northamptonshire, Sheffield, Suffolk, Wakefield, Walsall, and the London Boroughs of Barking and Dagenham, Barnet, Brent, Bromley, Camden, Croydon, Ealing, Enfield, Greenwich, Hammersmith and Fulham, Hackney, Haringey, Havering, Hillingdon, Hounslow, Islington, Kensington and Chelsea, Kingston upon Thames, Lambeth, Lewisham, Merton, Newham, Redbridge, Richmond upon Thames, Southwark, Tower Hamlets, Wandsworth, and Westminster.

Tel: 0300 330 5454

Action against Medical Accidents (AvMA)

AvMA is an independent charity which promotes better patient safety and justice for people who have been affected by a medical accident.

It provides free and confidential medico-legal advice and support with NHS and private sector complaints, inquests, complaints to health professional regulators and legal action.

It can also refer cases to solicitors on its specialist Clinical Negligence Panel.

Tel: 0845 123 2352

Independent Sector Complaints Adjudication Service (ISCAS)

ISCAS is a voluntary scheme for the majority of independent healthcare providers and provides independent adjudication on patient complaints about ISCAS members.

Tel: 020 3713 1746

General Dental Council (GDC)

This organisation protects the public by regulating dental professionals in the UK.

Tel: 020 7887 3800

General Medical Council (GMC)

The GMC can help you with a number of issues, including dealing with doctors whose fitness to practice is under question.

Tel: 0845 357 3456

General Optical Council

This statutory body regulates optical professionals (dispensing opticians and optometrists).

Tel: 020 7580 3898

General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC)

The General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) is the independent regulator for pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and pharmacy premises in Great Britain.

Tel: 020 3365 3400

Health and Care Professions Council

This council regulates arts therapists, biomedical scientists, chiropodists/podiatrists, clinical scientists, dieticians, occupational therapists, orthopists, paramedics, physiotherapists, prosthetists and orthotists, radiographers, social workers and speech and language therapists.

Tel: 0300 500 6184

Nursing and Midwifery Council

This council was set up by Parliament to ensure nurses, midwives and health visitors provide high standards of care to their patients and clients.

Tel: 020 7637 7181

Prisons and Probation Ombudsman

This ombudsman investigates complaints from prisoners and those subject to probation supervision.

Tel: 0207 035 2876 or 0845 010 7938

Information Commissioner

The Information Commissioner promotes good information handling practice and enforces data protection and freedom of information legislation.

Tel: 01625 545700 or 0303 123 1113

The Law Society

If you decide to take legal action, The Law Society can help you to find a suitable solicitor in your area.

Tel: 020 7242 1222

Last updated:
06 December 2018


Help us improve this page