You are here

Complain about the use of the Mental Health Act

  • Public

If you are unhappy with the use of powers or how duties have been carried out under the Mental Health Act , you can make a complaint to us and we will investigate.

You can also give us feedback on care and tell us what you think about your care and treatment.

Complaints can be made by anyone – patients, staff or any member of the public.

Powers and duties carried out under the Mental Health Act cover a wide range of services, including receiving care while detained in hospital, or while on a guardianship or community treatment order.

If you ask us to investigate a complaint, we will usually ask you to complain to the service provider before we consider an investigation ourselves. If you need us to, we can help you make your complaint to the service provider.

Use the details below to contact us about the use of the Mental Health Act:

CQC Mental Health Act
Newcastle upon Tyne

Phone: 03000 616161 - press ‘1’ to speak to the mental health team.

When we receive a complaint, we first decide whether it is a complaint that we can help with. If we can't help, we will tell you why not and whether anyone else might be able to help you.

If we can look into it, we will write to tell you what will happen next. In either case, we aim to send our first reply within three working days.

Our policy on complaining about the use of the Mental Health Act






Last updated:
29 October 2019


Help us improve this page