Complain about an adult social care service

Page last updated: 12 May 2022

If you have experienced or seen poor care from an adult social care service, you have a right to complain to the organisation that provided or paid for the care.

By law, all health and social care services must have a procedure for dealing efficiently with complaints.

How to complain

In the first instance, you should contact the service provider.

If the care is funded or arranged by a local council, you can complain to them about your issue. Find your local council (GOV.UK)

All health and social care service providers must have a complaints procedure that you can ask to see. This will tell you how to make a complaint.

Tell us

You should also tell us about the poor care that you have seen or experienced.

Although we are not able to take forward complaints on your behalf, information given to us helps protect others from going through the same experience.

Give feedback on care

If you are not satisfied

If you have complained to the care provider or local council and you are unhappy with the response, you can make a complaint to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman.

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman can investigate complaints about all adult care services, whether they are paid for by a council or by someone with their own money.

Report an unregistered service

Tell us if you think somebody is providing health or adult social care services without being registered with us.

Report an unregistered provider