You are here


  • Organisations we regulate

Notifications are changes, events or incidents that you must inform us about. There are several different types of notification and the type you need to make will depend on the type of service you provide or work in.

HSCA notifications

These must be made by all services registered under the Health and Social Care Act (HSCA). This includes all NHS trusts, independent healthcare, adult social care, primary dental care and independent ambulance providers.

The process differs slightly for NHS trusts than from other providers. You can find out more about which events and changes you will need to notify us about and how to do so on the pages below.


Mental health notifications

Services providing care to people detained, or liable to be detained, under the Mental Health Act 1983 (MHA) must make additional notifications to us. These relate to when patients of these services receive certified treatment, are absent without leave or die.

Mental health notifications


Child safeguarding notifications

Primary Care Trusts are required to notify us during the initiation of every child protection serious case review. This information may feed into our regulatory activities.

Child safeguarding notifications


Accountable officer notifications

Every NHS trust and independent hospital in England must appoint an accountable officer to be responsible for the safe management of controlled drugs. We must be notified of the details of the person appointed to this role.

Notify us of your accountable officer's details


Ionising radiation notifications

Providers of services using ionising radiation such as for x-rays or radiopharmaceuticals are required to inform us about Ionising Radiation (Medical Exposure) Regulations (IRMER) incidents where exposures are at a level 'much greater than intended'.

Report radiation exposures


Last updated:
16 February 2015