You are here
How to get and re-use CQC information and data
We want to be as open and transparent as we can be with the information we collect, analyse and store.
As a result, we make the complete directory of places where CQC regulated care is provided in England available as a download and we offer a widget which lets people embed summary information about each of the places we regulate.
We are also developing partnerships with other websites to increase the amount of feedback we get from the public about health and care services.
We encourage people to use these tools to build their own services – especially those that help people find out about the health and social care options available to them.
- About the CQC
- Download our complete directory of
places that provide care
- Share the information
on your website
Our widget lets anyone embed CQC information on their own website. Each place that is regulated by CQC has a widget showing a summary of the results of CQC’s latest checks along with a link to its full profile on cqc.org.uk.
This is particularly useful for providers that are regulated by CQC who want to show that they are registered with CQC and for people who build directory services.
How to get the widget
To get the widget, search for the place you are interested in the search box at the top of this page and follow the 'Put this information on your website' link (near the bottom of the right hand column of each of the pages in our directory) where you will find instructions on how to do it. You can also see our CQC Widget - help and frequently asked questions page.
Below is an example of the widget.
NB – We usually update this file once a week. Follow us on Twitter to find out when new files are published.
We are making a second file available which contains details of registered managers and care home bed numbers. It also allows you to easily filter by the regulated activities, service types or service user bands.
Archive of files
You can see our archive of files (starting from 26 September 2012) on Google Drive.
Details of what's in the file
The file contains a complete list of the places in England where people carry out care that is regulated by CQC. It includes every hospital, care home, dentist and care home agency in England as well as other types of service like ambulances, prison care services and hospices. From April 2013 it will include every GP practice as well.
It contains the following information about each place we regulate:
- Name (column a)
- Name of the location as registered with CQC by the care provider
- Also known as (column b)
- This is given to us by the care provider if a location has a different trading name or is commonly known by another name
- Address (column c)
- Full address except postcode
- Postcode (column d)
- Phone number (column e)
- Service's website (if available) (column f)
- This is the web address the service were invited to supply when they registered with CQC
- Service types (column g)
- This is the type of service offered at this place (e.g. Care home with nursing, Hospital, Dental service). We use these for the service type tabs and drop down in our service search at the top of this page.
- Date of latest check (column h)
- This is the publication date of CQC’s last inspection report about this place, or the date the location was registered with CQC if it has not been inspected yet.
- Specialisms/services (column i)
- These are particular services this place offers or groups of people they care for. We use these in the "more search options" filters in our service search.
- Provider name (column j)
- This is the organisation, company or individual that provides the care at this location. This allows you to see all the locations that they have registered.
- Local authority (column k)
- This is the English local authority area that the service is in. This is often particularly relevant to people choosing social care.
- Region (column l)
- This is the CQC region that the service falls in. Currently CQC has 4 regions: South, London, Central and North.
- Location URL (column m)
- This is the location’s page on the CQC website where you can see the results of CQC checks and download inspection reports.
- CQC Location ID (for office use only) (column n)
- This is CQC’s unique ID for each place it regulates. You’ll see it is also used as part of the Location URL.
- CQC Provider ID (for office use only) (column o)
- This is CQC’s unique ID for each provider of care it regulates. You can use it to see all the places where a particular provider of care provides care.
8 October 2012
Started keeping revision history
NB – to be notified of further revisions, we recommend following us on Twitter.
How you can use this file
This information is available under the Open Government Licence, which means you can:
- copy, publish, distribute and transmit the information, as long as you do this in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and acknowledge the source.
- adapt the information, as long as you do not misrepresent it or use it to mislead people.
- use the information commercially, for example by combining it with other information, or by including it in your own product or application.
Before you use the information, you should read the full terms of the licence.
If you use our CSV file, please acknowledge somewhere on your site or service that you are using CQC information.
Contact us or send us feedback
- Last updated:
- 20 August 2014