You are here
This section provides information about our role and the legal responsibilities of healthcare providers that handle controlled drugs.
You can also download the Self assessment tools for primary care providers/commissioners and acute NHS trusts or independent hospitals.
Our work to oversee the safer management of controlled drugs
Our work involves:
- providing external scrutiny on how other regulators and agencies work together following the Government's response on the management of controlled drugs after the fourth report of the Shipman inquiry.
- leading a national group of the regulators and agencies involved in different aspects of the management and use of controlled drugs, to look at national trends in their use.
- reporting to Government on how partner organisations work together.
- assessing and overseeing how health and social care providers manage controlled drugs.
- taking part in local intelligence networks led by NHS England. These networks bring together organisations from the NHS and independent health, and other responsible bodies, regulators and agencies including the General Pharmaceutical Council, NHS Protect and police services.
Self assessment tools
Please note: these tools are in Excel spreadsheet format and contains macros. When you open the tool, please remember to select "enable macros" to ensure that the RAG (red amber green) rating facility works.
Tool for primary care
Tool for secondary care
Our latest annual report: The safer management of controlled drugs 2014.
Previous annual reports
- Last updated:
- 29 July 2015