You are here

Complain about a service or provider

  • Public

Close up image of a computer keyboard.

In the first instance, you should contact the service provider.

By law, all health and social care service providers must have a complaints procedure that you can ask to see, which will tell you how to make a complaint.

Find out how to report a concern if you think a crime has been committed or that an unregistered service is operating.

If you’re still not happy

If you have complained to the care provider and you are unhappy with their response, there are a number of actions you can take, depending on who the provider is and how your care is funded.

Jump to:

See also our page on complaining about the use of the Mental Health Act

Complaints about the NHS

Contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO).

Complaints about social care services

Council-funded care – You can make a complaint to your council if it pays for your care. If you are unhappy with the outcome of your complaint, you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman.

Self-funded care – If you pay for your care yourself, you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman.

Complaints about GPs

CQC doesn't manage individual complaints about GPs and their services. See our Contact details for healthcare complaints for suggestions on who might be able to help.

If you're not happy with the response you get when you complain to the service provider, you should contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO).

Last updated:
26 April 2016