You are here
Wigton Group Medical Practice is rated as Outstanding by the Care Quality Commission – the first in Cumbria
The Care Quality Commission has found the quality of care provided by the Wigton Group Medical Practice in Cumbria to be Outstanding following an inspection carried out in November 2014.
Inspectors rated the practice as outstanding for effectiveness, caring and well led and good for safety and responsiveness. A full report of the inspection has been published today.
Under CQC’s new programme of inspections, all England’s GP practices are being given a rating according to whether they are safe, effective, caring, responsive and well led.
The report on the Wigton Group Medical Practice highlights a number of areas of outstanding practice including:
- The practice had developed approaches to improve the rate of patients taking up flu vaccinations and bowel cancer screening. This had led the practice to achieve higher rates when compared to national averages.
- The practice worked actively with a partner organisation, West Cumbria Carers, to ensure they met the needs of patients with caring responsibilities.
- The practice recognised that to provide good quality care to patients, it also needed to look after its staff. Inspectors saw evidence of this in a number of areas including the process for reviewing significant events, governance and the induction processes for GPs new to the practice.
- The practice demonstrated a strong commitment to seeking and listening to patient views. Throughout the inspection they demonstrated how patient views had influenced improvements in patient care and service. They showed us a range of evidence (such as case studies, patient feedback and complaints) they had used to focus improvements on the needs and wishes of patients. This included celebrating what had gone well as well as identifying areas for improvement.
- The practice performed well against a number of key indicators, such as the low rate of emergency cancer admissions.
Beverley Cole is CQC’s Head of General Practice in the North:
“The care we observed at the practice really was excellent. It sets a very high standard that every GP Practice should seek to attain.
“I was particularly impressed with Wigton Group listening to patient views. The fact that they could demonstrate how patient views had influenced improvements in patient care and service was very impressive.
“This is an excellent well-led GP Practice that is innovative and importantly works closely with local partner organisations including its local Community Hospital.”
Professor Steve Field, Chief Inspector of General Practice said:
“I am delighted to highlight the exceptional service and standard of care which is being provided by the Wigton Group Medical Practice.
“People are entitled to services which provide safe, effective, compassionate and high quality care.
“The GPs and staff at Wigton Group Medical Practice have demonstrated a real commitment to their patients.
“All of this hard work and dedication pays off in making a real difference for their patients – which is why we have found this practice to be Outstanding.”
For media enquiries, David Fryer 07901 514220 or call the CQC press office on 020 7448 9401 during office hours or out of hours on 07917 232 143. For general enquiries, call 03000 61 61 61.
- Last updated:
- 30 May 2017