You are here
Sydmar Lodge, Edgware, rated as Inadequate by CQC
The Care Quality Commission (CQC) has told Embrace All Limited (formerly known as European Care (GB) Limited) that it must make urgent improvements at Sydmar Lodge, Edgware, Middlesex, or face further enforcement action.
During an unannounced inspection in November, inspectors found that the home, in Hale Lane, was failing to provide care which was safe, effective, responsive to people’s needs or well led, although the home was rated as Good for being caring. As a result of the inspection, the provider was issued with three warning notices.
Under CQC’s new programme of inspections, all adult social care services are being given a rating to help people choose care. Overall, Sydmar Lodge has been rated as Inadequate.
A full report from the inspection has been published on the CQC website: www.cqc.org.uk/location/1-126029020.
The report identifies a number of areas in which improvements were required, including:
- People were not always being given their medicines as prescribed.
- People were not always given the individual support they needed to eat and drink. This led to a risk of malnutrition and dehydration.
- Care plans did not always reflect where people’s needs had changed which placed them at risk of inappropriate care.
- People sometimes had to wait to receive support with personal care, as there were not always enough staff on duty.
- There were shortfalls in the complaints process and in the governance system in the home.
Sally Warren, CQC’s Deputy Chief Inspector of Adult Social Care in London, said:
“It is unacceptable that people living at Sydmar Lodge were not receiving care which was safe, effective, responsive to their needs or well led, although we noted that staff were caring.
“We will return in due course to check whether the required improvements have been made – and will take further action if they have not.”
For media enquiries, call the CQC press office on 020 7448 9401 during office hours or out of hours on 07789 876508.
For general enquiries, call 03000 61 61 61.
- Last updated:
- 30 May 2017
Notes to editors
In October 2014, CQC began to roll out its new inspection regime for adult social care services across England, using specialist teams who will inspect and rate services against what matters to the people who use them. For further information, please visit: