You are here
The Monteiro Clinic North is rated Inadequate by CQC
The Monteiro Clinic North, in the London borough of Brent, has been rated Inadequate overall by the Care Quality Commission.
The clinic was rated Inadequate for being safe, effective and well-led. It was rated Requires Improvement for being caring and responsive, following an inspection in April 2019.
After the inspection CQC immediately acted to prevent the practice nurses from operating - until they were appropriately trained to carry out the roles they were employed to perform.
The practice is an independent provider of medical services predominantly to the Brazilian, Portuguese and Spanish communities. It has a sister practice in south London.
CQC’s key findings included:
- Practice nurses were not appropriately trained.
- Not all GPs had undertaken safeguarding training at the appropriate level.
- The service did not have an import licence for medicines imported from Portugal.
- Yellow Fever vaccines had been administered to patients, but the service was not registered as a Yellow Fever Centre.
- The service did not recognise or record all significant events.
The practice must now make the following improvements:
- Ensure that care and treatment is provided in a safe way to patients.
- Establish effective systems and processes to ensure good governance in accordance with the fundamental standards of care.
Head of Inspection for Primary Medical Services in London, Antony Hall, said: “CQC has now placed The Monteiro Clinic North in special measures in a bid to help it improve. If there is insufficient improvement within six months we might escalate to urgent enforcement action.”
You can read the inspection report in full when it appears on the CQC website by clicking on www.cqc.org.uk/location/1-3000870631
For media enquiries, contact Ray Cooling, Regional Engagement Manager (London), on 020 7448 9136 or call the press office on 020 7448 9401 during office hours. Journalists wishing to speak to the press office outside of office hours can find out how to contact the team here www.cqc.org.uk/media/our-media-office.
- Last updated:
- 12 June 2019
Notes to editors