You are here
CQC inspectors highlight outstanding and good care as reports are published on 92 more GP practices
In the past week, CQC has published a further 92 reports on the quality of care provided by GP practices that have been inspected by specialist teams of inspectors.
Under CQC’s new programme of inspections, all of England’s GP practices are being given a rating according to whether they are safe, effective, caring, responsive and well led.
The Chief Inspector of General Practice has found another 76 practices to be Good and nine to Require Improvement, four to be Outstanding and one to be Inadequate following recent inspections by the Care Quality Commission. Two reports were focused inspections which are not rated.
The total number of practices rated Outstanding is now 173. The total number of practices that have exited Special Measures is now 63.
Professor Steve Field, Chief Inspector of General Practice, said:
“After reporting on more than 6,000 inspections we have found that most care is good – with over 100 practices now rated Outstanding. That means that over 1 million patients in England currently receive care from practices which we have rated Outstanding. What’s enormously encouraging is that our inspections are driving improvement – 90% of practices that we have re-inspected have improved since last October. Through their hard work and dedication, practices are making positive changes to the care they deliver.
“There is still too much poor care. Since we began inspecting GP practices in October 2014 we have found over 100 practices to be Inadequate. While this is a minority, this still amounts to over half a million patients in England who were not receiving the basic standards of care that they should be able to expect from their GP practice. I am glad to say that we have increasingly found that most practices that are placed in special measures use the support that is on offer to meet those standards.”
Full reports on all 93 inspections are available.
GP Practices listed by CCG area and rating:
- Glenroyd Medical, Blackpool: Outstanding
- The Mill Medical Practice, Guildford and Waverley: Outstanding
- The Olive Family Practice Ltd, Bolton: Outstanding
- The Vine Medical Centre, West Kent: Outstanding
- Annandale Medical Centre, Eastern Cheshire: Good
- Appleby Surgery, North Tyneside: Good
- Appleton Village Surgery, Halton: Good
- Aylesford Medical Centre, West Kent: Good
- Barnwood Medical Practice, Gloucestershire: Good
- Brookroyd Surgery, North Kirklees: Good
- Brookside Surgery, Coventry and Rugby: Good
- Bugbrooke Surgery, Nene: Good
- Burngreave Surgery, Sheffield: Good
- Church Street Practice, North West Surrey: Good
- Clarendon Park Medical Centre, Leicester City: Good
- Commonfield Road Surgery - Brodbin C, Wirral: Good
- Corbin Avenue Surgery, Dorset: Good
- Dr Abdula Rauf Kukaswadia, Liverpool: Good
- Dr C Dahs & Dr I P Humberstone (Little Gaynes Surgery), Havering: Good
- Dr C Dahs & Dr IP Humberstone (Cranham Village Surgery), Havering: Good
- Dr Corina Ciobanu, Herts Valleys: Good
- Dr Gurkirit Kalkat, Barking and Dagenham: Good
- Dr Howard and Partners, Bedfordshire: Good
- Dr JJC Marlborough's Practice, Blackburn with Darwen: Good
- Dr Olumuyiwa Ojo-Aromokudu, Herts Valleys: Good
- Dr Rajesh Saraf, Oldham: Good
- Dr Sarita Bhatia, Medway: Good
- Dr Suresh Tibrewal, City and Hackney: Good
- Dr Thavapalan, Bexley: Good
- Dr White & Partners, Durham Dales, Easington and Sedgefield: Good
- Drs Berni and Vitty, South Sefton: Good
- Drs G Streeter, N Potter, J Morgan & R Estall, West Kent: Good
- Drs T Hughes, J Lodge, R Hodgson, D Powell trading as The Kirkbymoorside Surgery, Vale of York: Good
- Drybrook Surgery, Gloucestershire: Good
- Earl's Court Surgery, West London: Good
- East Hill Surgery, North East Essex: Good
- Fleetwood Surgery, Fylde & Wyre: Good
- Grainger Medical Group, Newcastle Gateshead: Good
- Great Barford Surgery, Bedfordshire: Good
- Great Massingham Surgery, West Norfolk: Good
- Horncastle Medical Group, Lincolnshire East: Good
- Hornsey Park Surgery, Haringey: Good
- Iver Medical Centre, Chiltern: Good
- King Street Surgery, Herefordshire: Good
- Kinson Road Medical Centre, Dorset: Good
- London Fields Medical Centre, City and Hackney: Good
- Long Bennington Medical Centre, South West Lincolnshire: Good
- Mann Cottage Surgery, Gloucestershire: Good
- Manor Surgery, Kernow: Good
- Mission Medical Practice, Tower Hamlets: Good
- Morthen Road Group Practice, Rotherham: Good
- MyHealth, Vale of York: Good
- Oakfields Health Centre, North Durham: Good
- Parkwood Family Practice, Medway: Good
- Penkridge Medical Practice, Stafford and Surrounds: Good
- Pitsmoor Surgery, Sheffield: Good
- Queens Avenue Surgery, Dorset: Good
- Regent Street Surgery, Gloucestershire: Good
- Roman Gate Surgery, Cambridgeshire and Peterborough: Good
- Roseworth Surgery, Newcastle Gateshead: Good
- Roysia Surgery, Cambridgeshire and Peterborough: Good
- School Hill Medical Practice, High Weald Lewes Havens: Good
- Southfields Group Practice, Wandsworth: Good
- St Georges Medical Centre, Wirral: Good
- Staines Health Group, North West Surrey: Good
- Stonecross and West Drive Surgery, Medway: Good
- Swingbridge Surgery, South West Lincolnshire: Good
- The Abingdon Surgery, Oxfordshire: Good
- The Beckside Centre, Vale of York: Good
- The Calow and Brimington Practice, North Derbyshire: Good
- The Castle Practice, Wiltshire: Good
- The Energise Healthy Living Centre, Salford: Good
- The Hythe Medical Centre, North West Surrey: Good
- The Manor Practice, Birmingham CrossCity: Good
- The Old School Surgery, Wiltshire: Good
- The Stanford Medical Centre, Brighton and Hove: Good
- Westminster Medical Centre, Liverpool: Good
- Westmoreland GP Centre, Liverpool: Good
- Wolverhampton Road Surgery, Stafford and Surrounds: Good
- Woodhouse Hill Surgery, Greater Huddersfield: Good
- City Road Medical Centre, Islington: Requires improvement
- Cumberland House, Stafford and Surrounds: Requires improvement
- Dr Krishna Chaturvedi, Southend: Requires improvement
- Dr NHR Simpson's Practice, West Leicestershire: Requires improvement
- Edlesborough Surgery, Aylesbury Vale: Requires improvement
- Harford Health Centre, Tower Hamlets: Requires improvement
- Riverside Medical Practice, Medway: Requires improvement
- Shadwell Medical Centre, Leeds North: Requires improvement
- St Mary Street Surgery, South Gloucestershire: Requires improvement
- Dr Andreas Sampson, Haringey: Inadequate
- Box Surgery, Wiltshire: Focused inspection*
- Brooks Bar Medical Centre, Trafford: Focused inspection*
For further information, please contact Helen Gildersleeve, Regional Engagement Officer on 07825 939 328. Journalists wishing to speak to the press office outside of office hours can find out how to contact the team here. Please note: the press office is unable to advise members of the public on health or social care matters. For general enquiries, please call 03000 61 61 61.
- Last updated:
- 29 May 2017
Notes to editors
We issue separate press releases on the services rated Outstanding and Inadequate.
GP practices will receive a rating following an inspection by specialist teams including GPs, practice nurses, practice managers and experts by experience (people with personal experience of using or caring for someone who uses the type of services we are inspecting).
To get to the heart of people’s experiences of care, we always ask the following five questions of services.
- Are they safe?
- Are they effective?
- Are they caring?
- Are they responsive to people’s needs?
- Are they well-led?
For every NHS GP practice we will look at the quality of care for the following six population groups: Older people, People with long-term conditions, Families, children and young people, Working age people (including those recently retired and students), People whose circumstances may make them vulnerable, People experiencing poor mental health (including people with dementia).
Providers must display their ratings on their premises and on their websites so that the public can see their rating quickly and easily. Further information on the requirement for providers to prominently display their CQC ratings.