You are here
CQC inspectors highlight outstanding and good care as reports are published on 90 more GP practices
In the past week, CQC has published a further 90 reports on the quality of care provided by GP practices that have been inspected by specialist teams of inspectors.
Under CQC’s new programme of inspections, all of England’s GP practices are being given a rating according to whether they are safe, effective, caring, responsive and well led.
The Chief Inspector of General Practice has found another 70 practices to be Good and 11 to Require Improvement, three to be Outstanding and five to be Inadequate following recent inspections by the Care Quality Commission. One report was a focused inspection which are not rated.
The total number of practices rated Outstanding is now 141. The total number of practices that have exited Special Measures is now 36.
Professor Steve Field, Chief Inspector of General Practice, said:
“After more than 3,000 inspections we have found that most care is good – with over 100 practices now rated Outstanding. That means that over 1 million patients in England currently receive care from practices which we have rated Outstanding. What’s enormously encouraging is that our inspections are driving improvement – 90% of practices that we have re-inspected have improved since last October. Through their hard work and dedication, practices are making positive changes to the care they deliver.
“There is still too much poor care. Since we began inspecting GP practices in October 2014 we have found over 100 practices to be Inadequate. While this is a minority, this still amounts to over half a million patients in England who were not receiving the basic standards of care that they should be able to expect from their GP practice. I am glad to say that we have increasingly found that most practices that are placed in special measures use the support that is on offer to meet those standards.”
Full reports on all 90 inspections are available on this website.
GP Practices listed by CCG area and rating:
- Kiddrow Medical Practice, NHS East Lancashire CCG: Outstanding
- Sherrington Park Medical Practice, NHS Nottingham City CCG: Outstanding
- Whitstable Medical Practice, NHS Canterbury and Coastal CCG: Outstanding
- Abercromby Family Practice, NHS Liverpool CCG: Good
- Allington Clinic, NHS West Kent CCG: Good
- Ashville Surgery, NHS Hammersmith and Fulham CCG: Good
- Belmont Medical Centre, NHS Ealing CCG: Good
- Bridge End Surgery, NHS North Durham CCG: Good
- Brooke Road Surgery, NHS City and Hackney CCG: Good
- Browney House Surgery, NHS North Durham CCG: Good
- Caddington Surgery, NHS Bedfordshire CCG: Good
- Cheetham Hill Primary Care Centre, NHS North Manchester CCG: Good
- Chilton Place Surgery, NHS Canterbury and Coastal CCG: Good
- Cross Deep Surgery, NHS Richmond CCG: Good
- Cross Road Surgery, NHS Dorset CCG: Good
- Donneybrook Medical Centre, NHS Tameside and Glossop CCG: Good
- Dr A R Tollast & Partners, NHS Portsmouth CCG: Good
- Dr Andrew Christopher Murray, NHS Vale of York CCG: Good
- Dr Bevan & Partners, NHS Bath and North East Somerset CCG: Good
- Dr Bhupendra Modi, NHS Leicester City CCG: Good
- Dr BK Jaiswal's Practice, NHS Barking and Dagenham CCG: Good
- Dr Haroon Siddique, NHS Southend CCG: Good
- Dr Joseph Rizzo-Naudi, NHS Aylesbury Vale CCG: Good
- Dr Jutta Meiwald, NHS Lincolnshire East CCG: Good
- Dr Karim & Dr James-Authe, NHS Bolton CCG: Good
- Dr Mellor and Partners, NHS Barnsley CCG: Good
- Dr P D Dewhurst & Partners, NHS Hastings and Rother CCG: Good
- Dr Poonam Chand Sharma, NHS Waltham Forest CCG: Good
- Dr Purnell and Partners, NHS Erewash CCG: Good
- Dr Rajeev Raut, NHS Hull CCG: Good
- Dr Rushda Ghani, NHS Hastings and Rother CCG: Good
- Dr S Nelson & Partners, NHS Gloucestershire CCG: Good
- Dr STK Jafri and Partners, NHS North East Lincolnshire CCG: Good
- Drs Broom, Ward, Shelly & Maxwell-Jones, NHS Southern Derbyshire CCG: Good
- GP CARE Services Ltd, NHS Heywood, Middleton and Rochdale CCG: Good
- Grosvenor Medical Centre, NHS South Cheshire CCG: Good
- Guide Bridge Medical Practice, NHS Tameside and Glossop CCG: Good
- Guidepost Medical Group, NHS Northumberland CCG: Good
- Holdenhurst Road Surgery, NHS Dorset CCG: Good
- Infirmary Drive Medical Group, NHS Northumberland CCG: Good
- Jiggins Lane Medical Centre, NHS Birmingham CrossCity CCG: Good
- Kingswood Surgery, NHS Swindon CCG: Good
- Measham Medical Unit, NHS West Leicestershire CCG: Good
- Merton Lodge Surgery, NHS Lincolnshire East CCG: Good
- Mill Road Surgery, NHS North East Essex CCG: Good
- Newent Doctors Practice, NHS Gloucestershire CCG: Good
- Ninfield Surgery, NHS Eastbourne, Hailsham and Seaford CCG: Good
- Oakwood Surgery, NHS Leeds North CCG: Good
- Parsons Heath Medical Practice, NHS North East Essex CCG: Good
- Partners in Health, NHS Gloucestershire CCG: Good
- Pembroke Surgery, NHS South Reading CCG: Good
- Plumbridge Medical Centre, NHS Greenwich CCG: Good
- Pontesbury Medical Practice, NHS Shropshire CCG: Good
- Regal Chambers Surgery, NHS East and North Hertfordshire CCG: Good
- Rushden Medical Centre, NHS Nene CCG: Good
- **Spring Terrace Health Centre, NHS North Tyneside CCG: Good
- St Alban's Medical Centre, NHS Dorset CCG: Good
- St Mary's Medical Centre, NHS Medway CCG: Good
- St Peter's Medical Centre, NHS Brighton and Hove CCG: Good
- Staunton and Corse Surgery, NHS Gloucestershire CCG: Good
- Streatham Park Surgery, NHS Wandsworth CCG: Good
- Sunniside Surgery, NHS Newcastle Gateshead CCG: Good
- Thatcham Health Centre, NHS Newbury and District CCG: Good
- The Corner Surgery - Dr Mulla, NHS Southport and Formby CCG: Good
- The Gables Medical Group, NHS Northumberland CCG: Good
- The Harvey Practice, NHS Dorset CCG: Good
- The Royal Well Surgery, NHS Gloucestershire CCG: Good
- Trentside Medical Group, NHS Nottingham North and East CCG: Good
- Washway Road Medical Centre, NHS Trafford CCG: Good
- Wessex Road Surgery, NHS Dorset CCG: Good
- Westrop Medical Practice, NHS Swindon CCG: Good
- Wey Family Practice, NHS North West Surrey CCG: Good
- William Street Surgery, NHS Canterbury and Coastal CCG: Good
- Barrowford Surgery Limited, NHS East Lancashire CCG: Requires improvement
- Bretton Medical Practice, NHS Cambridgeshire and Peterborough CCG: Requires improvement
- Chacewater Health Centre, NHS Kernow CCG: Requires improvement
- Crosby House Surgery, NHS Slough CCG: Requires improvement
- Dr Abdul Naeem, NHS Sandwell and West Birmingham CCG: Requires improvement
- Dr Avinash Kumar Sennik, NHS Croydon CCG: Requires improvement
- Dr Imran Haq, NHS Birmingham CrossCity CCG: Requires improvement
- Park View Medical Practice, NHS Warrington CCG: Requires improvement
- The Finchampstead Surgery, NHS Wokingham CCG: Requires improvement
- The Lime Tree Surgery, NHS Coastal West Sussex CCG: Requires improvement
- Timperley Health Centre - Westwood, NHS Trafford CCG: Requires improvement
- Broadway Surgery, NHS Brighton and Hove CCG: Inadequate
- Doctors Lewis, Hawkes and Dicks, NHS Somerset CCG: Inadequate
- Dr Sidhu's Medical Centre, NHS Oldham CCG: Inadequate
- Falcon Medical Centre, NHS Birmingham CrossCity CCG: Inadequate
- Shiremoor Medical Group, NHS North Tyneside CCG: Inadequate
- Dr MSN Ahmed & Dr MB Ahmed, NHS Greater Huddersfield CCG: Focused inspection*
For further information, please contact Helen Gildersleeve, Regional Engagement Officer on 0191 2333379. Journalists wishing to speak to the press office outside of office hours can find out how to contact the team here. Please note: the press office is unable to advise members of the public on health or social care matters. For general enquiries, please call 03000 61 61 61.
- Last updated:
- 29 May 2017
Notes to editors
We issue separate press releases on the services rated Outstanding and Inadequate.
*Focused inspections are smaller in scale than comprehensive inspections, although they follow a similar process. These are carried out to check on specific areas we are concerned about, which might have been raised during a comprehensive inspection or through our monitoring work.
**Spring Terrace Health Centre in North Tyneside exited Special Measures and received a new rating of Good following improvements made at their recent inspection.
GP practices will receive a rating following an inspection by specialist teams including GPs, practice nurses, practice managers and experts by experience (people with personal experience of using or caring for someone who uses the type of services we are inspecting).
To get to the heart of people’s experiences of care, we always ask the following five questions of services.
- Are they safe?
- Are they effective?
- Are they caring?
- Are they responsive to people’s needs?
- Are they well-led?
For every NHS GP practice we will look at the quality of care for the following six population groups: Older people, People with long-term conditions, Families, children and young people, Working age people (including those recently retired and students), People whose circumstances may make them vulnerable, People experiencing poor mental health (including people with dementia).
Providers must display their ratings on their premises and on their websites so that the public can see their rating quickly and easily. Further information on the requirement for providers to prominently display their CQC ratings.