You are here
CQC inspectors highlight outstanding and good care as reports are published on 85 more GP practices
In the past week, CQC has published a further 85 reports on the quality of care provided by GP practices that have been inspected by specialist teams of inspectors.
Under CQC’s new programme of inspections, all of England’s GP practices are being given a rating according to whether they are safe, effective, caring, responsive and well led.
The Chief Inspector of General Practice has found another 72 practices to be Good, five to Require Improvement, one to be Outstanding and four to be Inadequate following recent inspections by the Care Quality Commission. Three reports were focused inspections which are not rated.
The total number of practices rated Outstanding is now 270. The total number of practices that have exited Special Measures is now 95.
Professor Steve Field, Chief Inspector of General Practice, said:
“After reporting on more than 6,000 inspections we have found that most care is good – with over 200 practices now rated Outstanding. That means that over 1 million patients in England currently receive care from practices which we have rated Outstanding. What’s enormously encouraging is that our inspections are driving improvement – 90% of practices that we have re-inspected have improved since last October. Through their hard work and dedication, practices are making positive changes to the care they deliver.
“However, we still see evidence of too much poor care. Since we began inspecting GP practices in October 2014 we have found over 200 practices to be Inadequate. While this is a minority, this still amounts to over half a million patients in England who were not receiving the basic standards of care that they should be able to expect from their GP practice. I am glad to say that we have increasingly found that most practices that are placed in special measures use the support that is on offer to meet those standards.”
GP Practices listed by CCG area and rating:
- The Forum Health Centre, Coventry and Rugby: Outstanding
- Barkantine Practice, Tower Hamlets: Good
- Boughton Surgery, West Norfolk: Good
- Buckshaw Village Surgery, Chorley and South Ribble: Good
- Cassio Surgery, Herts Valleys: Good
- Castleton Health Centre, Heywood, Middleton and Rochdale: Good
- Croston Village Surgery, Chorley and South Ribble: Good
- Dr A Verma & Dr T M Campbell, Cannock Chase: Good
- Dr Ainsworth & Partners, Birmingham CrossCity: Good
- Dr Asad Zaman, Birmingham CrossCity: Good
- Dr Bathla & Partners- Soho Road Primary Care Centre, Sandwell and West Birmingham: Good
- Dr Chandrika Ramu, Swale: Good
- Dr Colin-Jones & Partners, West Kent: Good
- Dr Ghanshyam Patel, Sheffield: Good
- Dr Gigurawa Wijethilleke, Chorley and South Ribble: Good
- Dr H I Lazarus and Partners, West Norfolk: Good
- Dr Mohammed Ehsan, Barking and Dagenham: Good
- Dr Mostafa Mostafa, Greenwich: Good
- Drayton Medical Practice, Shropshire: Good
- Drs Whiting, Harvey and Ashley, Kernow: Good
- Duncan Street Primary Care Partnership, Wolverhampton: Good
- Eastlands Medical Practice, North Manchester: Good
- Fairfax Group Practice, Bury: Good
- Ferry Road Health Centre, Hastings and Rother: Good
- Glenside Country Main Practice, South West Lincolnshire: Good
- Great Staughton Surgery, Cambridgeshire and Peterborough: Good
- Grimston Medical Centre, West Norfolk: Good
- Hanwell Health Centre - Lees Naish BassI, Ealing: Good
- Heald Green Health Centre 1, Stockport: Good
- Hook Surgery, Kingston: Good
- Kingsfield Medical Centre, Birmingham South and Central: Good
- Laburnum Health Centre, Barking and Dagenham: Good
- Ladies Walk Practice, Southampton: Good
- Liquorpond Surgery, Lincolnshire East: Good
- Little Lever Health Centre 1, Bolton: Good
- Longfield Medical Practice, Bury: Good
- Manor Oak Surgery, High Weald Lewes Havens: Good
- Mawney Medical Centre, Havering: Good
- Mount Gould Local Care Centre, Northern, Eastern and Western Devon: Good
- NHS Urgent Care Centre, Nottingham City: Good
- Nightingale House Surgery, Enfield: Good
- North Trafford Group Practice, Trafford: Good
- Northfield Medical Centre, East Leicestershire and Rutland: Good
- O'Flynn - Hampton Wick, Richmond: Good
- Oldbury Health Centre, Sandwell and West Birmingham: Good
- Orchard Surgery, Horsham and Mid Sussex: Good
- Parkstone Health Centre, Dorset: Good
- Parkway Minor Injuries Unit, Croydon: Good
- Peacock Practice, Nottingham North and East: Good
- Penn Manor Medical Practice, Wolverhampton: Good
- Poundbury Doctors Surgery, Dorset: Good
- Purley Minor Injuries Unit, Croydon: Good
- River Lodge Surgery, High Weald Lewes Havens: Good
- Rosemary Surgery, Barnet: Good
- Rothesay Surgery, Bedfordshire: Good
- Saltdean and Rottingdean Medical Practice, Brighton and Hove: Good
- St Elizabeth's Medical Centre, Leicester City: Good
- Stockett Lane Surgery, West Kent: Good
- Streatham Common Group Practice, Lambeth: Good
- Sundon Medical Centre, Luton: Good
- The Ardleigh Surgery, North East Essex: Good
- The Moorings Medical Practice, Croydon: Good
- The Old School Surgery, West Leicestershire: Good
- The Practice Leecon Way & Hawkwell, Castle Point and Rochford: Good
- The Ridings Medical Group, East Riding of Yorkshire: Good
- The Wellbridge Practice, Dorset: Good
- Tower Hill Partnership, Sandwell and West Birmingham: Good
- Tudor Practice Stockland Green Limited, Birmingham CrossCity: Good
- White Lodge Medical Practice, Enfield: Good
- Woodside Medical Centre, Coventry and Rugby: Good
- Yardley Wood Health Centre, Birmingham CrossCity: Good
- York Street Medical Practice, Cambridgeshire and Peterborough: Good
- Zetland Medical Practice, South Tees: Good
- Bellows Road Surgery, Rotherham: Requires improvement
- Magna Group Practice - Valley Health Centre, Rotherham: Requires improvement
- Northbourne Surgery, Dorset: Requires improvement
- The Highfield Medical Centre, Leeds West: Requires improvement
- Westwood Road Health Centre, South Reading: Requires improvement
- Boundary House Surgery, Enfield: Inadequate
- Dr Kandiah Pathmanathan, Camden: Inadequate
- Dr Naz Asghar, Ealing: Inadequate
- Westside Surgery, Lincolnshire East: Inadequate
- Drs. Lawson, Scales, Tarrant & Napper, North Kirklees: Focused inspection*
- Heathway Medical Centre, Barking and Dagenham: Focused inspection*
- Oakfield Surgery, West Suffolk: Focused inspection*
For further information, please contact Helen Gildersleeve, Regional Engagement Officer on 0191 2333379. Journalists wishing to speak to the press office outside of office hours can find out how to contact the team here. Please note: the press office is unable to advise members of the public on health or social care matters. For general enquiries, please call 03000 61 61 61.
- Last updated:
- 29 May 2017
Notes to editors
We issue separate press releases on the services rated Outstanding and Inadequate.
*Focused inspections are smaller in scale than comprehensive inspections, although they follow a similar process. These are carried out to check on specific areas we are concerned about, which might have been raised during a comprehensive inspection or through our monitoring work.
GP practices will receive a rating following an inspection by specialist teams including GPs, practice nurses, practice managers and experts by experience (people with personal experience of using or caring for someone who uses the type of services we are inspecting).
To get to the heart of people’s experiences of care, we always ask the following five questions of services.
- Are they safe?
- Are they effective?
- Are they caring?
- Are they responsive to people’s needs?
- Are they well-led?
For every NHS GP practice we will look at the quality of care for the following six population groups: Older people, People with long-term conditions, Families, children and young people, Working age people (including those recently retired and students), People whose circumstances may make them vulnerable, People experiencing poor mental health (including people with dementia).
Providers must display their ratings on their premises and on their websites so that the public can see their rating quickly and easily.