You are here
CQC inspectors highlight outstanding and good care as reports are published on 84 more GP practices
In the past week, CQC has published a further 84 reports on the quality of care provided by GP practices that have been inspected by specialist teams of inspectors.
Under CQC’s new programme of inspections, all of England’s GP practices are being given a rating according to whether they are safe, effective, caring, responsive and well led.
The Chief Inspector of General Practice has found another 70 GP practices to be Good and 12 to Require Improvement following recent inspections by the Care Quality Commission. Two reports were focused inspections which are not rated.
The total number of practices rated Outstanding is now 136. The total number of practices that have exited Special Measures is now 35.
Professor Steve Field, Chief Inspector of General Practice, said:
“After more than 3,000 inspections we have found that most care is good – with over 100 practices now rated Outstanding. That means that over 1 million patients in England currently receive care from practices which we have rated Outstanding. What’s enormously encouraging is that our inspections are driving improvement – 90% of practices that we have re-inspected have improved since last October. Through their hard work and dedication, practices are making positive changes to the care they deliver.
“There is still too much poor care. Since we began inspecting GP practices in October 2014 we have found over 100 practices to be Inadequate. While this is a minority, this still amounts to over half a million patients in England who were not receiving the basic standards of care that they should be able to expect from their GP practice. I am glad to say that we have increasingly found that most practices that are placed in special measures use the support that is on offer to meet those standards.”
Full reports on all 84 inspections are available on this website.
GP Practices listed by CCG area and rating:
- Abbey-Dale Medical Centre, NHS Blackpool CCG: Good
- Ambrose Avenue Group Practice, NHS North East Essex CCG: Good
- Arksey Lane Surgery, NHS Doncaster CCG: Good
- Ash Grove Medical Centre, NHS Wakefield CCG: Good
- Aylesbury Partnership - Thurlow Street, NHS Southwark CCG: Good
- Beckett House Practice, NHS Lambeth CCG: Good
- Bingley Medical Practice, NHS Bradford Districts CCG: Good
- Bramhall Park Medical Centre, NHS Stockport CCG: Good
- Briercliffe Surgery, NHS East Lancashire CCG: Good
- Buckfastleigh Medical Centre, NHS South Devon and Torbay CCG: Good
- Buckland Medical Practice, NHS South Kent Coast CCG: Good
- Cannington Health Centre, NHS Somerset CCG: Good
- Castle Donington Surgery, NHS West Leicestershire CCG: Good
- Chingford Medical Practice, NHS Waltham Forest CCG: Good
- Church Street Practice, NHS North West Surrey CCG: Good
- Crawford Street Surgery, NHS Central London (Westminster) CCG: Good
- Dr A G Kippax and Dr A M Statham, NHS West Lancashire CCG: Good
- Dr Ajay Ramchandran, NHS Sandwell and West Birmingham CCG: Good
- Dr AJJ Bentley and Partners, NHS Leicester City CCG: Good
- Dr Andra Jayaweera, NHS Castle Point and Rochford CCG: Good
- Dr EA Hepplewhite and Dr S Virmani, NHS West Leicestershire CCG: Good
- Dr J Heathcote and Partners, NHS Bromley CCG: Good
- Dr John Roberts and Dr David Longford, NHS Liverpool CCG: Good
- Dr Neeta Ghosh-Chowdhury, NHS Brent CCG: Good
- Dr Olajide Ijaola, NHS South East Staffordshire and Seisdon Peninsular CCG: Good
- Dr Patel, Kamath and Partners, NHS Wigan Borough CCG: Good
- Dr S. Young, Dr S. Sivarajan and Dr H. Singh, NHS Bromley CCG: Good
- Dr Sonal Sharma, NHS Heywood, Middleton and Rochdale CCG: Good
- Dr Susan Mathew, NHS Mid Essex CCG: Good
- Drs Askey and Partners, NHS Walsall CCG: Good
- Drs Emond, Copsey and Bailoor, NHS Basildon and Brentwood CCG: Good
- Drs O'Neill, Evans and Lunn, NHS Northumberland CCG: Good
- Dun Cow Surgery, NHS Southwark CCG: Good
- East Cowes Medical Centre, NHS Isle of Wight CCG: Good
- Eden Surgery, NHS Erewash CCG: Good
- Fort House Surgery, NHS North West Surrey CCG: Good
- Grange Street Surgery, NHS Herts Valleys CCG: Good
- Hasland Medical Centre, NHS North Derbyshire CCG: Good
- Heywood Family Practice, NHS North Somerset CCG: Good
- Kennet Surgery, NHS South Reading CCG: Good
- Langworthy Medical Practice, NHS Salford CCG: Good
- Levenshulme Medical Practice, NHS Central Manchester CCG: Good
- Lichfield Street Surgery, NHS Walsall CCG: Good
- Lime Tree and Sinnott Healthcare, NHS Waltham Forest CCG: Good
- Loddon Vale Practice, NHS Wokingham CCG: Good
- Lower Gornal Medical Practice, NHS Dudley CCG: Good
- NEMS Platform One Practice, NHS Nottingham City CCG: Good
- Orton Bushfield Medical Centre, NHS Cambridgeshire and Peterborough CCG: Good
- Pimlico Health @ The Marven, NHS Central London (Westminster) CCG: Good
- Richmond Medical Centre, NHS Lincolnshire West CCG: Good
- Rydings Hall Surgery, NHS Calderdale CCG: Good
- Salisbury House Surgery, NHS Bedfordshire CCG: Good
- Scawsby Health Centre Practice, NHS Doncaster CCG: Good
- Seaton Surgery, NHS Hartlepool and Stockton-on-Tees CCG: Good
- Selborne Road Medical Centre, NHS Sheffield CCG: Good
- Sinha Medical Practice, NHS Newham CCG: Good
- St Saviours Surgery, NHS South Worcestershire CCG: Good
- Stock Hill Surgery, NHS Bromley CCG: Good
- Storrsdale Medical Centre, NHS Liverpool CCG: Good
- Surbiton Health Centre, NHS Kingston CCG: Good
- Tamar Medical Centre, NHS South East Staffordshire and Seisdon Peninsular CCG: Good
- The Avenue Medical Centre, NHS North Manchester CCG: Good
- The Dower House, NHS Isle of Wight CCG: Good
- The Elms Surgery, NHS West Lancashire CCG: Good
- The Spires Practice, NHS South East Staffordshire and Seisdon Peninsular CCG: Good
- Thorpe Road Surgery, NHS Cambridgeshire and Peterborough CCG: Good
- Todmorden Group Practice, NHS Calderdale CCG: Good
- Village Medical Centre, NHS South Tees CCG: Good
- White Horse Medical Practice, NHS Oxfordshire CCG: Good
- Willowbrook Medical Centre - JG Astles, NHS Leicester City CCG: Good
- Burton Road Surgery, NHS Lincolnshire West CCG: Requires improvement
- Carrfield Medical Centre, NHS Sheffield CCG: Requires improvement
- Colby Medical Centre Ltd, NHS Knowsley CCG: Requires improvement
- Dr Chi Kee Liu, NHS Cambridgeshire and Peterborough CCG: Requires improvement
- Dr NK Agrawal and Partner, NHS Sandwell and West Birmingham CCG: Requires improvement
- Dr T Mackenzie and Partners, NHS East Lancashire CCG: Requires improvement
- Dr Thomas Barnwell, NHS Central London (Westminster) CCG: Requires improvement
- Eldene Surgery, NHS Swindon CCG: Requires improvement
- Gorton Medical Centre, NHS Central Manchester CCG: Requires improvement
- Halesowen Health Centre, NHS Dudley CCG: Requires improvement
- The Limes Surgery, NHS East and North Hertfordshire CCG: Requires improvement
- The Practice Sayeed Medical Centre, NHS Leicester City CCG: Requires improvement
- Destination Health @ london bridge, NHS Southwark CCG: Focused inspection*
- Star Throwers, NHS South Norfolk CCG: Focused inspection*
For further information, please contact Helen Gildersleeve, Regional Engagement Officer on 0191 2333379. Journalists wishing to speak to the press office outside of office hours can find out how to contact the team here. Please note: the press office is unable to advise members of the public on health or social care matters. For general enquiries, please call 03000 61 61 61.
- Last updated:
- 29 May 2017
Notes to editors
*Focused inspections are smaller in scale than comprehensive inspections, although they follow a similar process. These are carried out to check on specific areas we are concerned about, which might have been raised during a comprehensive inspection or through our monitoring work.
GP practices will receive a rating following an inspection by specialist teams including GPs, practice nurses, practice managers and experts by experience (people with personal experience of using or caring for someone who uses the type of services we are inspecting).
To get to the heart of people’s experiences of care, we always ask the following five questions of services.
- Are they safe?
- Are they effective?
- Are they caring?
- Are they responsive to people’s needs?
- Are they well-led?
For every NHS GP practice we will look at the quality of care for the following six population groups: Older people, People with long-term conditions, Families, children and young people, Working age people (including those recently retired and students), People whose circumstances may make them vulnerable, People experiencing poor mental health (including people with dementia).
Providers are required to display their ratings on their premises and on their websites so that the public can see their rating quickly and easily. Further information on the requirement for providers to prominently display their CQC ratings.