You are here
CQC inspectors highlight outstanding and good care as reports are published on 65 more GP practices
The Chief Inspector of General Practice has found another 50 GP practices to be Good following recent inspections by the Care Quality Commission.
This week, CQC has published a further 65 reports on the quality of care provided by GP practices that have been inspected by specialist teams of inspectors.
Of those, 50 of the practices have been rated as Good, ten have been rated Requires Improvement, two have been rated Outstanding, two have been rated Inadequate and one was a focused inspection.*
Under CQC’s new programme of inspections, all of England’s GP practices are being given a rating according to whether they are safe, effective, caring, responsive and well led. 77 GP practices have been rated as Outstanding so far.
Professor Steve Field, Chief Inspector of General Practice, said:
“After more than 2,000 inspections we now have the evidence that the vast majority of England's GP practices are providing a service which is safe, effective, caring, responsive and well led. We have also found so many practices going far beyond the call of duty to care for patients to provide an outstanding service to their patients.
"But, unfortunately, there are still areas of practice that are inadequate and unacceptable. Patients have a right to expect high quality care from every GP practice. Where improvement is required we will expect the practice to take the necessary steps to address the issues and we will re-inspect at a later date to check that those improvements have been made.
"Practices rated Inadequate that are put into Special Measures are offered additional support by NHS England which is working with the RCGP to help the practice get back on track. We have already seen the benefits of this approach when we re-inspect."
Full reports on all 65 inspections are available on this website.
GP Practices listed by CCG area and rating:
- Brookvale Practice, Halton: Outstanding
- Thistlemoor Road Surgery, NHS Cambridgeshire and Peterborough CCG: Outstanding
- Abercromby Family Practice, Liverpool: Good
- Barton House Medical Practice, NHS Dorset CCG: Good
- Belmont and Sherburn Medical Group, NHS North Durham CCG: Good
- Bishopston Medical Practice - Logan Road, Bristol: Good
- Bishopston Medical Practice - Nevil Road, Bristol: Good
- Brierley Park Medical Centre, NHS Mansfield and Ashfield CCG: Good
- Bushloe Surgery, East Leicestershire and Rutland: Good
- Carpenters Practice, Newham: Good
- Coulby Medical Practice, South Tees: Good
- Cromer Group Practice, NHS North Norfolk CCG: Good
- Dr D Dhaduvai and Dr S Chaudhuri, Bexley: Good
- Dr Khalid Patel, NHS Redbridge CCG: Good
- Dr M E Scott and Partners , Newcastle: Good
- Dr McAlindon, Dr Thapa, Dr Javali and Dr Amin, NHS Wakefield: Good
- Dr Richard Hall and Partners, Leeds North: Good
- Dr Robert Gardner, NEW Devon: Good
- Dr Tree, Dr Sood and Dr Jacobs, St Helens CCG: Good
- Dr. Teverson and Partners, NHS Mid Essex CCG: Good
- Drs Baker and Fahmy, NHS Brighton and Hove CCG: Good
- Drs Stocking, Lyle, Summers, Raeburn, Threadgold and Diane Yates , South Tees: Good
- Empingham Medical Centre, East Leicestershire and Rutland: Good
- Emsworth Surgery, NHS East Surrey CCG: Good
- Enys Road Surgery, NHS Eastbourne, Hailsham and Seaford CCG: Good
- Greystoke Surgery, Northumberland: Good
- Grove House Practice, NHS Halton CCG: Good
- Gun Lane Medical Practice, NHS Medway CCG: Good
- Half Penny Steps Health Centre, NHS West London (Kensington and Chelsea, Queen's Park and Paddington): Good
- ** Holbeach Medical Centre, Lincolnshire East CCG: Good
- John Smith Medical Centre , NHS Barking and Dagenham CCG: Good
- Kearsley Medical Centre, Bolton: Good
- King Edwards Medical Centre, Barking and Dagenham: Good
- Lister Medical Centre, West Essex: Good
- Little St John Street Surgery, Ipswich and East Suffolk CCG: Good
- Lordswood House Group, NHS Birmingham CrossCity CCG: Good
- Mansion House Surgery, Cumbria: Good
- Marple Bridge Surgery, Stockport: Good
- Marple Medical Practice, NHS Stockport CCG: Good
- Munro Medical Centre, Lincolnshire East CCG: Good
- Park House Surgery, North Durham CCG: Good
- Park Surgery, South Tees: Good
- Stonecross and West Drive Surgery, Medway: Good
- The Abingdon Medical Centre, NHS West London: Good
- The Clays Practice, Kernow: Good
- The Longcroft Clinic, Surrey Downs CCG: Good
- The Phoenix Practice, NHS Barnet CCG: Good
- Theale Medical Centre, North and West Reading Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG): Good
- Thorntree Surgery, South Tees: Good
- Werrington Village Surgery, NHS North Staffordshire CCG: Good
- Whipton surgery, New Devon: Good
- Woodhall Spa New Surgery, Lincolnshire East CCG: Good
- Bredbury Medical Centre, CCG – NHS Stockport CCG : Requires improvement
- Croydon Urgent Care Centre, Croydon CCG: Requires improvement
- Dr Jedth Phornnarit (aka The Garway Medical Practice), NHS West London CCG: Requires improvement
- Dr Michael Abdou, NHS Solihull CCG: Requires improvement
- Dr Shabir Ahmad Malik, Southend: Requires improvement
- Dr Thavapalan, NHS Bexley : Requires improvement
- Dr Wageeh Mikhail, Newark and Sherwood CCG: Requires improvement
- ** Family Healthcare Centre, Great Yarmouth and Waveney: Requires improvement
- Hamd Medical Practice, NHS Birmingham CrossCity CCG: Requires improvement
- Stuart House Surgery, Lincolnshire East: Requires improvement
- Dr Butt and Partner, NHS Greater Huddersfield CCG: Inadequate
- The Stanstead Surgery, West Essex: Inadequate
- * Dr Sirri Surgery, Haringey: Focussed inspection
For further information, please contact Helen Gildersleeve, Regional Engagement Manager on 0191 2333379. Journalists wishing to speak to the press office outside of office hours can find out how to contact the team here. Please note: the press office is unable to advise members of the public on health or social care matters. For general enquiries, please call 03000 61 61 61.
- Last updated:
- 29 May 2017
Notes to editors
Please note that we publish separate press releases on the practices rated Outstanding and Inadequate.
*Focused inspections are smaller in scale than comprehensive inspections, although they follow a similar process. These are carried out to check on specific areas we are concerned about, which might have been raised during a comprehensive inspection or through our monitoring work.
** Holbeach Medical Centre previously rated Requires Improvement and inspectors found the necessary improvements had been made when we last inspected the service, resulting in a new rating of Good. The Family Health Centre was previously rated Inadequate and has now been rated Requires Improvement.
GP practices will receive a rating following an inspection by specialist teams including GPs and practice nurses and experts by experience (people with personal experience of using or caring for someone who uses the type of services we are inspecting).
To get to the heart of people’s experiences of care, we always ask the following five questions of services.
- Are they safe?
- Are they effective?
- Are they caring?
- Are they responsive to people’s needs?
- Are they well-led?
For every NHS GP practice we will look at the quality of care for the following six population groups: Older people, People with long-term conditions, Families, children and young people, Working age people (including those recently retired and students), People whose circumstances may make them vulnerable, People experiencing poor mental health (including people with dementia).
Since 1 April, providers have been required to display their ratings on their premises and on their websites so that the public can see their rating quickly and easily. Further information on the requirement for providers to prominently display their CQC ratings.
In July 2015 CQC launched a new online toolkit for GPs, featuring examples of outstanding practice that inspectors have found in GP surgeries across England. The toolkit, at www.cqc.org.uk/outstandingprimarycare, intends to provide real-world, illustrative examples of high quality general practice that other providers can refer to.