You are here

CQC inspectors find County Durham GP surgery to be Outstanding in the services provided to the local population

Published:
18 January 2017
Service:
Stanley Medical Group - Clifford Road
Categories:
  • Media,
  • GP and GP out-of-hours services

England’s Chief Inspector of General Practice has found the quality of services provided by Stanley Medical Group at Clifford Road, Stanley, to be Outstanding following an inspection by the Care Quality Commission in October 2016.

Under CQC’s programme of inspections, all of England’s GP practices are given a rating in five key areas; are they; safe, effective, caring, responsive and well led.

A full report of the inspection has been published.

Alison Holbourn, Deputy Chief Inspector of General Practice said:

"It is clear that Stanley Medical Group is providing a responsive and well-led service which is an asset to people living in this part of Durham. To get rated as Outstanding is a real achievement.

“We found a compassionate practice that put being responsive to the needs of their patients at the heart of everything they did.

“This was reflected in what people told us and the feedback that the surgery received from their patients.

“It was also impressive to see the resources the practice had invested in clinical training. They used resources to upskill the GPs in six clinical areas; dermatology, gynaecology, ophthalmology, orthopaedics, urology, and ear nose and throat. This additional training meant that Stanley Medical Group were able to better manage referrals to meet the needs of people using the service.

“This is a great example of what outstanding care looks like.”

Professor Steve Field, Chief Inspector of General Practice said:

“All of this hard work and dedication pays off in making a real difference for their patients – which is why we have found this practice to be Outstanding.”

Inspectors found several areas of good practice:

  • There was a strong focus on continuous learning and improvement at all levels and inspectors found that safe innovation was celebrated. There was a clear proactive approach to seeking out and embedding new ways of providing care and treatment.
  • The practice was part of a local pilot scheme to identify patients at high risk of developing diabetes, and take a proactive approach to identifying, reviewing, engaging patients in the prevention of onset for diabetes, and offering diabetes education via the local Diabetes Prevention Program. The practice had identified 575 patients with impaired glucose regulation. Less than 8% (42 patients) were subsequently confirmed as diabetic. The remaining 92% were included in the practices recall for a review, under the long term condition review process.

Ends

For further information please contact CQC Regional Engagement Officer Kerri James by email kerri.james@cqc.org.uk or by phone on 07464 92 9966.

Journalists wishing to speak to the press office outside of office hours can find out how to contact the team here.

Please note: the press office is unable to advise members of the public on health or social care matters. For general enquiries, please call 03000 61 61 61

Last updated:
29 May 2017

Notes to editors


Providers must display their ratings on their premises and on their websites so that the public can see their rating quickly and easily.


About the Care Quality Commission

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) is the independent regulator of health and social care in England.


We make sure health and social care services provide people with safe, effective, compassionate, high-quality care and we encourage care services to improve.


We monitor, inspect and regulate services to make sure they meet fundamental standards of quality and safety and we publish what we find to help people choose care.