You are here
CQC finds improvement needed at Cumbria NHS trust
The Care Quality Commission has found improvements are needed on mental health wards run by Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust following an inspection in February.
Overall the trust’s rating remains Requires Improvement. Full reports including ratings for all of the provider’s core services are available on our website.
The Deputy Chief Inspector of Hospitals (and lead for mental health), Dr Paul Lelliott, said:
“We have told Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust that they must make improvements in the acute wards for adults of working age and psychiatric intensive care units."
“We found a number of concerns about both the safety and effectiveness of services, and how well-led they are."
“We found there were not always enough doctors covering during evenings or at weekends on some of the wards and units. Inspectors were unable to find records of consent to treatment for detained patients, and it was unclear if clinicians were completing capacity assessments during consultations."
“Overall the trust remains rated as Requires Improvement. We will continue to monitor these services closely and work with partners to ensure the safety of people using them. We will return in due course to check on progress."
Areas where CQC have told the trust they must improve are:
- The trust must ensure that there is a robust out-of-hours psychiatric medical cover available across the wards to ensure the medical needs of patients is met.
- The trust must ensure that medicines management is adequate across all wards.
- The trust must ensure that patients have access to psychological therapies on all wards.
Other findings included:
- Patients felt well supported by staff and staff demonstrated a good understanding of the needs of patients.
- Patients received regular one to one time with their named nurse.
For further information please contact CQC Regional Engagement Officer Kerri James by email email@example.com or by phone on 07464 92 9966.
Journalists wishing to speak to the press office outside of office hours can find out how to contact the team here.
Please note: the press office is unable to advise members of the public on health or social care matters. For general enquiries, please call 03000 61 61 61.
- Last updated:
- 19 July 2017
Notes to editors
This report follows a focused inspection on the quality of services provided at Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust. Inspection teams include a range of clinical and other experts including experts by experience.
- Are they safe?
- Are they effective?
- Are they caring?
- Are they responsive to people’s needs?
- Are they well-led?