You are here
The Care Quality Commission (CQC) has published a report on Clifton Park Hospital in York
The Care Quality Commission (CQC) has published a report on Clifton Park Hospital in York, operated by Ramsay Health Care UK. The report follows an inspection visit to the hospital in January 2015.
A full report detailing the findings of the inspection has been published on CQC’s website at: www.cqc.org.uk/location/1-128732884.
The report highlights several areas of good practice, including:
- Patients were positive about their care and experiences. They felt involved in the decisions about their care and treatment and records were completed sensitively.
- Patient information leaflets within outpatients were of a very high standard and had recently been developed and improved by members of the outpatient team.
- Staff understood their responsibilities to raise concerns and record patient safety incidents and near misses. There was evidence of a culture of learning and service improvement.
- The radiology manager had been recognised by the Head of Diagnostics for Ramsay Health Care UK for her audit work regarding use of “C arm” equipment and had been asked to present her work to the Ramsay Radiology group.
Inspectors said that Ramsay Health Care UK must improve in three areas:
- The hospital must take action to ensure that the appropriate recruitment checks and records are in place for doctors working at the hospital. This includes Disclosure and Barring Service DBS checks, indemnity insurance and appraisals.
- The hospital must ensure that there is an effective system in place for the timely delivery of blood products should an emergency arise, and that emergency transport procedures are tested on a regular basis.
- The hospital must improve the security of access to the theatre suite to prevent patients or other people inappropriately accessing this area.
CQC’s Chief Inspector of Hospitals, Professor Sir Mike Richards, said:
“People deserve to receive treatment and care which is safe, effective, caring, responsive to their needs, and well led. “When we inspected Clifton Park Hospital we saw that staff were caring in their dealings with patients, and patients praised the treatment and care that they received.
“Staff were supported by a strong governance structure which enabled learning from other hospitals within Ramsay Health Care UK and the leadership team was visible, promoting a culture of candour, openness and honesty.”
“We did however note some areas where improvements are required.
“The provider has told us they have listened to our inspectors’ findings and we are aware of action that has already been taken to address some of the issues identified. We will return in due course to check that all of the required improvements have been made.”
For further information please contact CQC Regional Communications Officer Mark Humphreys on 0191 233 3519. For media enquiries about the Care Quality Commission, please call the press office on 020 7448 9401 during office hours. Journalists wishing to speak to the press office outside of office hours can find out how to contact the team here (please note: the duty press officer is unable to advise members of the public on health or social care matters).
For general enquiries, please call 03000 61 61 61.
- Last updated:
- 29 May 2017
Notes to editors
Since 1 April, providers that have been inspected have been required to display their ratings on their premises and on their websites so that the public can see their rating quickly and easily. For further information on the requirement for providers to prominently display their CQC ratings, please visit: www.cqc.org.uk/content/display-ratings.