You are here

Information on speaking up

  • Public

The National Guardian now has a new website, please visit

The National Guardian’s Office cannot provide legal advice and support.

Other organisations that can provide support include:

‘Speak Up’ helpline (

This is a free, independent and confidential helpline for people working in NHS and Social Care organisations in England, operated by Social Enterprise Direct Limited on behalf of the Department of Health and Social Care.

You can contact them on 08000 724 725 or by completing their contact form.

Protect (

This is a national charity which aims to protect society by encouraging speaking up in the workplace. It provides legally privileged advice to individuals, supports organisations with their speaking up arrangements and monitors legislative impact and campaigns for change.

You can contact them by calling 020 3117 2520 or by emailing  

The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy has produced a useful list of prescribed bodies that can provide support. This document includes information about the matters you can report to each prescribed person. Please ensure that you have selected the correct person or body for your issue.

Last updated:
11 October 2019