You are here

The provider of this service changed - see old profile

All reports

Inspection report

Date of Inspection: 12 August 2013
Date of Publication: 18 July 2014
Inspection Report published 18 July 2014 PDF | 93.66 KB

People should be cared for in a clean environment and protected from the risk of infection (outcome 8)

Not met this standard

We checked that people who use this service

  • Providers of services comply with the requirements of regulation 12, with regard to the Code of Practice for health and adult social care on the prevention and control of infections and related guidance.

How this check was done

We looked at the personal care or treatment records of people who use the service, carried out a visit on 12 August 2013, observed how people were being cared for and checked how people were cared for at each stage of their treatment and care. We talked with people who use the service, talked with staff and talked with commissioners of services.

Our judgement

People were not protected from the risk of infection because appropriate guidance had not always been followed.

Reasons for our judgement

When we visited Brandon House we saw the communal areas were generally clean and there were no unpleasant odours. New washable flooring was being put down in the communal corridors on the day of our visit.

We looked at direct care areas such as bathrooms and communal toilets. In one bathroom we saw that whilst the fabric of the bathroom was clean, the hoist was stained on the side and required wiping. Dirty laundry was being stored in the bathroom. This meant people were being provided with personal care in proximity to dirty laundry.

In many bathrooms and toilets we saw the paper towel dispensers were empty. This did not support people in maintaining good hand hygiene. The acting manager sourced some paper towels from another home within the provider group during our visit.

We looked at the sluice room. The key to the sluice room was in the door which made it accessible to anybody in the home. This did not keep people safe. The sluice room was tidy and uncluttered, but there was no facility available to store and dry clean commode pots or urinals after they had been washed and disinfected. We were told nobody used this equipment in the home. However, in one person’s care plan it was recorded they did use it. We noted there was a leak under the hand wash sink with a bucket underneath to catch the drips. Water was leaking under the door. We spoke with the maintenance person who told us they were not aware of the leak. They later confirmed to us the leak had been repaired.

We looked at people’s bedrooms. We saw they were clean and there were no odours. We saw new linen on people’s beds. Pillows and mattresses we looked at were clean.

People had en suite toilets and wash basins in their bedrooms. In one person’s bathroom we saw a bag of dirty pads on the floor by their bin. In another person’s room we saw a bucket half full of stale water under the wash basin. We were later informed this had been left by some decorators who had been working in the bathroom the previous week. Some bathrooms contained mobility items such as walking frames and wheelchairs which made access difficult.

In one person’s room we saw a jug of juice with a note to use by 11 August 2013. The juice was still available on 12 August 2013. In another person’s room we saw a bottle of diluted juice on the top of their wardrobe. We could not be sure how long it had been there or whether it was still safe to drink.

We checked two slings and two slide sheets in the presence of a senior carer. All four were clean, stitching and seams were intact and manufacturer's instructions were legible for cleaning. They had all had been serviced within the last six months.

We saw there was a plentiful supply of personal protective equipment for staff such as plastic gloves and aprons. When our inspectors arrived at the home the door was opened by a member of staff wearing white plastic gloves and apron. This meant they had been delivering personal care to a person at the time of our arrival. Failing to remove their apron and gloves before leaving that person could lead to the spread of infection throughout the home.