You are here

Stoneacre Lodge Residential Home Requires improvement

All reports

Inspection report

Date of Inspection: 28 September 2011
Date of Publication: 15 November 2011
Inspection Report published 15 November 2011 PDF | 67.17 KB

People should be cared for in safe and accessible surroundings that support their health and welfare (outcome 10)

Not met this standard

We checked that people who use this service

  • Are in safe, accessible surroundings that promote their wellbeing.

How this check was done

We reviewed all the information we hold about this provider, carried out a visit on 28/09/2011, looked at records of people who use services, talked to staff and talked to people who use services.

Our judgement

The physical environment was not entirely safe or fit for purpose. It presented some risks to people using the service through unsafe flooring and poor fire risk practices.

User experience

People we spoke with did not comment on this outcome area.

Other evidence

We were not looking at this outcome as part of this visit. However our observation of the service and staff practices raised concerns about lighting, carpeting and wedging of doors open.

We saw that the corridor carpets on both floors were not fitted correctly. They had a number of bumps along their length. The carpet to the entrance of the bathroom door in the extension area was coming away from the door strip and gaping. Both of these problems created a potential trip hazard to people using the service. We discussed our concerns with the manager who told us the provider was aware of the problems with the carpets and planned to replace them. No time scale for this was given to us.

We found that staff were using a door wedge to keep the laundry room door open. This was not acceptable practice with regard to fire risk and we told the manager she must look at alternative door openers which met the criteria of current fire legislation (the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005).

We saw that the corridor near the bathroom in the extension had three light bulbs out, which made the area very dark for people walking in this area. This created a potential risk of people falling. We discussed this with the manager who asked the maintenance man to replace the bulbs immediately.