You are here
CQC warns Woodlands View Residential and Nursing Home it needs to do more to protect the safety and welfare of people
17 May 2012
Regulator demands improvement at Hertfordshire home by owners, Bupa Care Homes(CFC Care) Limited.
The Care Quality Commission has issued a formal warning to the owners of Woodlands View Residential and Nursing Home,saying they must make improvements to standards of care or face further action.
The warning follows an unannounced visit by inspectors to the care home in Magpie Crescent, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, on 10 April to check on whether improvements had been made following an earlier inspection.
During this visit, inspectors found Bupa Care Homes (CFC Care) Limited owners of the home,needed to make improvements in relation to staffing.
- Staff said there had been no significant change to staffing levels since CQC had last visited, when numbers of staff on duty was raised as a concern.
- Inspectors were told staffing levels were frequently too low to meet people’s needs.
- The provider was unable to show inspectors any details of the staffing review promised as part of an improvement plan following CQC’s previous visit.
- No formal analysis had taken place in relation to the review and staff, residents and relatives had not been consulted as part of this. None of the staff inspectors spoke to at the home were aware that a formal review had taken place.
- Comments from both relatives and residents indicated that people waited for long periods after asking for assistance.
Andrea Gordon, Deputy Director of Operations (regions), said: "The law says these are the standards that everyone should be able to expect. Providers have a duty to ensure they are compliant
“This warning sends a clear message that the owners of Woodlands View Residential and Nursing Homeneeds to address this issue or face further consequences.
“Our inspectors will return in the near future and if we find that the required progress is not made we won’t hesitate to use our legal powers to protect the people who use this service."
Woodlands View Residential and Nursing Homeis registered to provide support for up to 120 older people including the provision of nursing and personal care.
For further information please contact Louise Grifferty, regional communications manager, on 07717 422917 or the CQC press office on 0207 448 9401 or out of hours on 07917 232 143.
Notes to editors
CQC will publish further details of the inspectors’ findings in a review of compliance on its website at a later date.
CQC issued the warning notice to Bupa Care Homes (CFC Care) Limited, of Outwood Lane, Horsforth, Leeds, owners of Woodlands View Residential and Nursing Home, Magpie Crescent, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, requiring that action is taken to meet:
- Regulation 22, staffing, Health and Social Care Act (Regulated Activities) Regulations 2010.
Inspectors will carry out a further unannounced visit to assess whether the necessary improvements have been made.
The deadline for improvement is 22 May. If improvements are not made, CQC has a range of enforcement powers which include restricting the services that a provider can offer, or, in the most serious cases, suspending or cancelling a service. CQC can also issue financial penalty notices and cautions or prosecute the provider for failing to meet essential standards. Any regulatory decision that CQC takes is open to challenge by a registered person through a variety of internal and external appeal processes.