You are here
CQC warns Rosewood Care Services Limited that they are failing to protect the safety and welfare of the people using the service
23 August 2012
Regulator demands immediate improvement at Liverpool nursing home.
The Care Quality Commission has issued a formal warning to Rosewood Care Services Limited, registered provider of Brooklands Nursing Home, 44 Albany Road, Old Swan in Liverpool, stating that they must make urgent improvements to standards of care or face further action.
The warning follows an unannounced visit by inspectors to the home in July 2012 to follow up requirements made during a previous inspection.
On the most recent inspection, CQC found that Rose Care Services Limited was failing to meet national standards in relation to the management of medicines and also the assessment and monitoring of service provision.
- Up to date lists of medications required by people living in the home had not been obtained upon their admission.
- Arrangements were not in place to ensure that where residents’ prescriptions had been reviewed or changed, these changes were promptly and effectively implemented.
- Inspectors found evidence that some medications could not be administered due to lack of supplies on the premises, and the methods used to control stocks of medication were inefficient.
- A review of medication audits showed a number of errors had been identified in either the administration, recording or stock control of medicines.
Malcolm Bower-Brown, deputy director of CQC in the North said:
"The law says that these are the standards that everyone who uses services should be able to expect. Providers have a duty to ensure they meet these standards.
“This warning sends a clear and public message that Rosewood Care Services Limited needs to address these issues as a matter of urgency or face serious consequences.
“We will return to Brooklands Nursing Home in the near future and if we find that the provider is not making the required progress we won’t hesitate to use our legal powers to protect the people who live there.”
Brooklands Nursing Home provides both personal and nursing care for up to 49 people.
For further information please contact the CQC press office can on 0207 448 9401 or out of hours on 07917 232 143.
Notes to editors
CQC will publish further details of the inspectors’ findings in a review of compliance on its website at a later date.
CQC has issued a warning notice to Rosewood Care Services Limited requiring action to meet:
- Regulation 10, Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Regulated Activities) Regulations 2010, Assessing and monitoring the quality of service provision
- Regulation 13, Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Regulated Activities) Regulations 2010, Management of medicines
A deadline of 20 August 2012 has been given for improvement. If this deadline is not met, CQC has a range of enforcement powers, which include restricting the services that a provider can offer, or, in the most serious cases, suspending or cancelling a service. CQC can also issue financial penalty notices and cautions or prosecute the provider for failing to meet essential standards. Any regulatory decision that CQC takes is open to challenge by a registered person through a variety of internal and external appeal processes.