You are here
CQC warns Herefordshire domiciliary care service it needs to do more to protect the safety and welfare of people
20 September 2012
Regulator demands improvement by owner of Pontrillas care service.
The Care Quality Commission has issued a formal warning to the owner of Abicare Services Limited, saying they must make improvements to standards or face further action.
The warning follows an unannounced visit by an inspector to the service’s premises at The Wain House, Howton, Pontrillas, Hereford, on 27 and 31 July.
During the inspection it was found that the owners of the service needed to make improvements in relation to requirements relating to workers and assessing and monitoring the quality of service provision.
- CQC checked whether staff had undergone required vetting and checking – such as Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) checks – prior to starting their job.
- One member of staff had started work before a CRB check had been applied for or references had been received.
- There was no evidence of CRB or Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) checks having taken place with regard to another employee.
- Following an inspection in February 2012, CQC asked the provider for a report on how it would address concerns raised during the inspection. This was not received and, on CQC’s return, the provider couldn’t show the inspector a plan for implementing improvements.
- There were no effective systems for assessing and monitoring the quality of the service provided. People using the service had not been given an opportunity to comment on the care they received since January 2011.
Andrea Gordon, Deputy Director of Operations (regions), said: "The law says these are the standards that everyone should be able to expect. Providers have a duty to ensure they are compliant.
“This warning sends a clear message that the owner of Abicare Services Limited needs to address this issue or face further consequences.
“Our inspectors will return in the near future and if we find that the required progress is not made we won’t hesitate to use our legal powers to protect the people who use this service."
Abicare Services Limited in Herefordshire is a domiciliary care service which provides care to people living in their own homes .
Notes to editors
CQC has issued the warning notice to Abicare Services Limited, in Brunel Road, Salisbury, the owner of Abicare Services Limited, The Wain House, Howton, Pontrillas, Hereford, requiring that action is taken to meet:
- Regulation 21, requirements relating to workers, and Regulation 10, assessing and monitoring the quality of service provision, Health and Social Care Act (Regulated Activities) Regulations 2010.
Inspectors will carry out a further unannounced visit to assess whether the necessary improvements have been made.
The deadline for improvement is 30 September. If improvements are not made, CQC has a range of enforcement powers which include restricting the services that a provider can offer, or, in the most serious cases, suspending or cancelling a service. CQC can also issue financial penalty notices and cautions or prosecute the provider for failing to meet essential standards. Any regulatory decision that CQC takes is open to challenge by a registered person through a variety of internal and external appeal processes.