You are here
CQC warns Ghyll Grove Residential and Nursing Home it needs to do more to protect the safety and welfare of people
31 December 2012
Regulator demands improvement by Basildon nursing home.
The Care Quality Commission has issued a formal warning to Bupa Care Homes (CFHCare) Limited saying they must make improvements to standards of care at Ghyll Grove Residential and Nursing Home or face further action.
The warning follows unannounced visits by inspectors to the residential home in Ghyll Grove, Basildon, Essex on 14 and 23 November, to follow up concerns raised at a previous inspection.
Following the visits, inspectors found the owners of Ghyll Grove Residential and Nursing Home needed to make improvements in relation to the care and welfare of people who use services.
- Care records and assessments were not being updated to reflect the changing needs of residents.
- Inspectors found blank nutrition and BMI assessments in the care record for a person who was at risk of significant weight loss and malnutrition. In addition, it took staff three weeks to refer the resident to a dietician after the risk had been identified.
- Some care records had no clear instructions on how staff were to care for residents who suffered from pressure ulcers.
- Several care plans were inaccurate and lacked sufficient detail.
Andrea Gordon, Deputy Director of Operations (central region) for CQC, said: "The law says these are the standards that everyone should be able to expect. Providers have a duty to ensure they are compliant.
“This warning sends a clear message that Ghyll Grove Residential and Nursing Home needs to address this issue or face further consequences.
“Our inspectors will return in the near future and if we find that the required progress is not made we won’t hesitate to use our legal powers to protect the people who use this service."
Ghyll Grove Residential and Nursing Home provides accommodation and nursing care for up to 169 older people.
For further information please contact Helen Gildersleeve, regional communications officer, on 0191 233 3379 or the CQC press office on 0207 448 9401 or out of hours on 07917 232 143.
Notes to editors
CQC has issued the warning notice to: Bupa Care Homes (CFHCare) Limited, Bridge House, Outwood Lane, Horsforth, Leeds, West Yorkshire, owner of Ghyll Grove Residential and Nursing Home, requiring that action is taken to meet:
- Regulation 9, care and welfare of people who use services, Health and Social Care Act (Regulated Activities), Regulations 2010.
Inspectors will carry out a further unannounced visit to assess whether the necessary improvements have been made.
If improvements are not made, CQC has a range of enforcement powers which include restricting the services that a provider can offer, or, in the most serious cases, suspending or cancelling a service. CQC can also issue financial penalty notices and cautions or prosecute the provider for failing to meet essential standards. Any regulatory decision that CQC takes is open to challenge by a registered person through a variety of internal and external appeal processes.