You are here
CQC warns Derbyshire care home it needs to do more to protect the safety and welfare of people
25 July 2012
Regulator demands improvement by owner of High Peak care home.
The Care Quality Commission has issued a formal warning to the owner of Watford House Residential Home,saying they must make improvements to standards of care or face further action.
The warning follows an unannounced visit by inspectors to the care home in Watford Road, New Mills, High Peak, Derbyshire, on 21 June.
During the visit inspectors found the owners of the home needed to make improvements in relation to requirements relating to workers and supporting workers.
- Inspectors looked at the staff training matrix and found a number of gaps in training received by staff.
- Not all staff had received training in safeguarding adults, the Mental Capacity Act 2005 and moving and handling people.
- CQC also looked at the provider’s recruitment processes and found these were not robust enough to protect people living at the home.
- The provider had failed to ensure that Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) checks and references had always been obtained prior to new staff starting work at the home.
Andrea Gordon, Deputy Director of Operations (regions), said: "The law says these are the standards that everyone should be able to expect. Providers have a duty to ensure they are compliant
“This warning sends a clear message that the owner of Watford House Residential Homeneeds to address this issue or face further consequences.
“Our inspectors will return in the near future and if we find that the required progress is not made we won’t hesitate to use our legal powers to protect the people who use this service."
Watford House Residential Home provides personal care for up to 40 residents.
For further information please contact Louise Grifferty, regional communications manager, on 07717 422917 or the CQC press office on 0207 448 9401 or out of hours on 07917 232 143.
Notes to editors
CQC will publish further details of the inspectors’ findings in a review of compliance on its website at a later date.
CQC has issued the warning notice to JTV Care Homes Limited owners of Watford House Residential Home in Watford Road, New Mills, High Peak, Derbyshire, requiring that action is taken to meet:
- Regulation 21, requirements relating to workers, and Regulation 23, supporting workers, Health and Social Care Act (Regulated Activities) Regulations 2010.
Inspectors will carry out a further unannounced visit to assess whether the necessary improvements have been made.
The deadline for improvement in relation to Regulation 21, requirements relating to workers, is 31 July 2012 and the deadline for improvement in relation to Regulation 23, supporting workers, is 31 August 2012.
If improvements are not made, CQC has a range of enforcement powers which include restricting the services that a provider can offer, or, in the most serious cases, suspending or cancelling a service. CQC can also issue financial penalty notices and cautions or prosecute the provider for failing to meet essential standards. Any regulatory decision that CQC takes is open to challenge by a registered person through a variety of internal and external appeal processes.