You are here
Consultation on how we regulate, inspect and rate services
This consultation closed on 4 June 2014.
We're changing the way we regulate, inspect and rate health and care services. Please tell us what you think of our plans.
About this consultation
Between Wednesday, 9 April and Wednesday, 4 June 2014 we want to find out what people think about how we're planning to change the way we regulate, inspect and rate care services. The changes include things like:
- what we look at on an inspection.
- how we judge what 'good' care looks like.
- how we rate care services to help you judge and choose care if you want to.
- how we use information to help us decide when and where we inspect.
Read about our planned changes
Our plans cover a range of health and social care services. They're set out in the documents below.
What changes are we proposing?
The main changes are:
- introducing new ways to inspect services, with Chief Inspectors and more specialist teams that include members of the public.
- using a new system of intelligent monitoring to help us decide when, where and what to inspect.
- listening to people's experiences of care and using the best information across our monitoring system.
We plan to base our judgements and ratings based on the five key questions we ask of all services:
- Are they safe?
- Are they effective?
- Are they caring?
- Are they responsive to people's needs?
- Are they well-led?
How we developed the changes
We developed the changes outlined in these documents over the past year together with the public, providers, our staff and organisations with an interest in our work.
The changes were originally signalled in Our three-year strategy in April 2013 and we developed our thinking by setting out some initial proposals in a series of Fresh start documents.
We've also been testing our new style inspections in hospitals, mental health and community health services. We will be testing them in adult social care services and GP practices from April 2014.
Our final plans will be developed using the feedback from this consultation and will be published in September 2014. The changes will come into effect in April 2015.
- Last updated:
- 24 July 2014