You are here

Notifications for NHS trusts

  • Organisations we regulate

Registered providers must notify us about certain changes, events and incidents that affect their service or the people who use it.

You can find out about what you need to notify us about by reading our guidance on the regulations for providers and managers.

Don't have a Provider Portal account?

Who do I send the notifications to?

To avoid duplication of reporting, the regulations allow NHS trusts to submit most notifications about "serious and untoward incidents" affecting people who use their services to the NRLS.

The NRLS is the reporting and learning system previously provided by the National Patient Safety Agency. It is now provided by the Imperial College NHS Trust under contract to the NHS Commissioning Body.

Notifications submitted to the NRLS through a local risk management system (LRMS) are then forwarded on to us.

Some notifications, however, must be submitted directly to CQC.

Guidance on NHS notifications

We have produced guidance that explains when NHS trusts must submit notifications, who they should send them to and how.

NHS mental health notifications

Notifications of the death or absence of people detained, or liable to be detained, under the Mental Health Act 1983 (MHA) are dealt with under a separate process.

Find out more about making Mental Health Act notifications.

Community interest companies (CICs)

Where the provider arm of a PCT has become a CIC, this company will legally be an independent health care provider and not an NHS body.

Therefore these CICs must make notifications as independent (and not NHS) providers.

Find out how to make notifications as a non-NHS provider.


Last updated:
23 May 2017