Service provider?You'll find information for people who run or work for mental health services in our Guidance for providers section.
Mental health services offer care, treatment and support for a range of conditions or illnesses affecting our psychological wellbeing.
In some cases, these services are for people whose rights are restricted under the Mental Health Act (MHA) - either by being detained in hospital or through being on a community treatment or guardianship order.
Mental health problems account for almost a quarter of the total burden of illness in this country - more than either cancer or heart disease - and one in four of us will experience at least one such condition in our lives.
- Find out about your rights under the Mental Health Act and the work of our Mental Health Act Reviewers.
- Find out more about our work around mental health and mental capacity.
Mental health inspections
We'll update this list when announcements are made on new inspections.
- 27 April 2015: Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust
- 27 April 2015: Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust
- 18 May 2015: Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust
- 01 June 2015: Mersey Care NHS Trust
- 08 June 2015: West London Mental Health NHS Trust
- 22 June 2015: Dorset Healthcare University NHS Foundation Trust
- 22 June 2015: Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- 29 June 2015: South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust
- Date to be confirmed: Devon Partnership NHS Trust
- Date to be confirmed: 5 Borough Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Date to be confirmed: North Essex Partnership Foundation Trust
Our new approach to regulating mental health care services
Last year we set out plans for a new approach to regulating, inspecting and monitoring mental health care services. You can read about our new approach in detail in our provider handbooks.
We're also changing the way we regulate, inspect and monitor specialist substance misuse services. Download A fresh start for the regulation and inspection of substance misuse services (PDF) to find out more.
Types of mental health service
- Provide care and treatment for people whose rights are restricted under the MHA.
- Includes the treatment of people detained in a hospital and those on community treatment orders.
- Also includes hospitals where patients may be detained temporarily.
- These services are visited by our MHA reviewers.
Community mental health services
- Provide care for people with mental health needs using a range of approaches.
- Involve multidisciplinary teams of health and social care professionals.
- People using the services may receive short-term interventions or long-term support and move between teams.
- Includes care for people subject to supervised community treatment under the MHA.
- Includes child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS), assertive outreach, early intervention and crisis resolution teams.
Find out about how we monitor, inspect and regulate mental health services.