Service provider?You'll find information for GP practices and GP out-of-hours services in our Guidance for providers section.
These services include your typical GP surgery but also a range of other services such as out-of-hours or mobile doctor services, walk-in centres, minor injury units or urgent care centres.
Find services near you
When we inspect GP practices, we give them a rating to help you choose care. Use our map to search for rated practices in your area, compare ratings and read inspection reports.
Types of GP service
NHS GP practices
- Range in size from those run by one doctor to those with large numbers of partners working across multiple sites.
- Many practices also employ staff including nurses, physiotherapists and office managers.
- Doctors will carry out medical consultations and minor treatments, discuss diagnosis and treatment and may prescribe medication.
NHS out-of-hours services
- These operate during the out-of-hours period when your GP practice is closed – usually 6.30pm - 8am on weekdays and all day on weekends and bank holidays.
- If you call your GP practice during this period, you will usually be redirected to one of these services.
- May include GPs or healthcare professionals working from A&E departments and minor injury units or making home visits.
- Sometimes involves ambulance services moving patients to where they can be seen by a doctor or a nurse.
- Usually managed by a nurse, these services are available to all and no appointments are needed.
- Most centres are open 365 days a year and outside office hours.
- Deal with minor illnesses and injuries rather than long-term conditions or life-threatening problems.
- Some centres also offer access to doctors as well as nurses.
Minor injury units
- Deal with minor injuries such as broken bones, sprains, burns and scalds.
- Allow A&E staff to concentrate on more serious injuries and conditions.
- Can help you avoid a long wait for a minor treatment in A&E.
- Some minor injury units and walk-in centres do not have facilities to treat young children.
Find out about how we inspect and regulate GPs and doctors.
Find out about how we use data to monitor GPs and doctors.