You are here
Diabetes care in community settings
This review is examining how well people with diabetes are supported by community services to achieve good outcomes.
Share your views on diabetes care
Tell us about your experiences of living with diabetes.
What will the review look at?
We will focus on:
- whether people experience care where services work together to meet their specific needs.
- whether people are receiving nine care processes recommended by NICE.
- how people are supported to manage their care themselves, including access to structured education.
We plan to publish a national report on the findings of our review next summer.
What do we aim to find out?
The review is focusing on people aged 18 to 65 years with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes. It will include commentary on:
- The barriers to delivering high quality community diabetes care.
- The factors which help in the delivery of high quality community diabetes care.
How will we carry out this work?
We will reach our conclusions using:
- Analysis of existing data about diabetes outcomes and patient experience. This will explore variations in care outcomes and patient experience across Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) areas and will contribute towards the selection of areas for fieldwork.
- Fieldwork in ten CCG areas involving:
- People sharing their experiences of diabetes care through our online form.
- Gathering existing qualitative evidence about people’s experiences of diabetes care held by commissioners, health services and stakeholders such as local Healthwatch and voluntary and community groups.
- Visiting services providing diabetes services and speaking with patients and staff.
- Interviews with commissioners of diabetes services.
- Focus groups with people with diabetes.
The review is being guided by an expert external advisory group, made up of patient charities, clinicians, providers, commissioners and other stakeholders.
Share your experiences of diabetes care
As part of the fieldwork for the thematic review we are running an online survey to understand people’s experiences of diabetes care.
The survey is open to people living in the following CCG areas:
- Sandwell and West Birmingham
- North East Lincolnshire
- East Lancashire
- South Worcestershire
- South Reading
- City and Hackney
To share your experiences visit our online form.
- Last updated:
- 10 December 2015