Service provider?You'll find information for dentists in our Guidance for providers section.
Dentists (also known as dental surgeons) provide a wide range of services to treat or prevent conditions affecting the mouth such as dental decay.
Dentists in England may offer private or NHS treatment or a mixture of both. Dental practices can vary in size from a sole trader operating alone to large organisations with practices spread across the country.
Types of dentist
There are three main types of dentist you can search for on this website: dental clinics, NHS hospital dental services and private hospital dental services. You can use the links below to find the services you need.
- Includes all dental surgeries
- Can be paid for by the NHS or privately.
- More than 90 per cent are run from a single location.
Hospital dental services
- Services offered may be more complex than those offered by ‘high street’ dental clinics.
- They may include the treatment of conditions affecting the facial bones, jaws and salivary glands.
Unlike other types of service we regulate, we don't publish ratings on dentists. Find out about how we monitor, inspect and regulate them.