Service provider?You'll find information for people who run or work for clinics in our Guidance for providers section.
There are a range of different types of healthcare clinics in England, which offer services such as IVF, cosmetic surgery and advice or treatment to help with family planning or losing weight.
Types of clinic
Family planning clinics
- Provide confidential advice about contraception, sexual health and pregnancy.
- Often offer free emergency contraception or pregnancy tests.
- Provide fitting and checking of intrauterine devices such as coils and hormonal coils.
- Sometimes also offer vasectomy, cervical screening and counselling services.
- Offer advice and treatment to help with weight loss.
- Provided or supervised by a registered doctor.
- Can prescribe medication for reducing weight.
- Provide treatment to terminate a pregnancy.
- Depending on the stage of the pregnancy, this may involve medication or surgery.
- May be run by the NHS, private companies or charitable organisations.
- These procedures may only be carried out in hospitals and licensed clinics with agreement of two doctors.
Find out about how we monitor, inspect and regulate clinics.