You are here
Experts by Experience
Our Experts by Experience programme involves the public in inspections and activities.
Experts by Experience are people who have personal experience of using or caring for someone who uses health, mental health and/or social care services that we regulate.
Who could be an Expert by Experience?
- People in the early stages of living with dementia
- Family carers of people living with dementia
- Older people who use regulated services
- Family carers of older people who use regulated services
- People who have a learning disability, people who have a dual diagnosis of learning disabilities and mental health conditions, people living with autism
- People who have a physical and/or sensory impairment
- Family carers of people who have severe learning disabilities and/or behaviour that is considered to be challenging
- People who have experience of using mental health services
- People with experience of detention under the Mental Health Act
- People who have experience of using substance misuse services
- Children and young people who use health, mental health or care services, or are family carers
- Family carers of children and young people who use health, mental health or care services
- People who have recently used maternity services
What do Experts by Experience do?
During inspections, Experts by Experience speak to people using services and their family or organisations that support them. They may also observe how the service is delivered and speak to staff. Their findings are used to support the inspectors’ judgments on services and may be included in inspection reports.
Experts by Experience also take part in our other activities such as assisting in training inspectors and taking part in working groups.
Remploy engage, support and manage the involvement of Experts by Experience in the our North, South and London regions.
Choice Support recruits, supports and manages the involvement of Experts by Experience in our Central region.
- Last updated:
- 11 November 2016