The Care Quality Commission checks whether hospitals, care homes and care services are meeting government standards. Visit our website at www.cqc.org.uk.
Services in your home
Data for Services in your home
Latest checks on Services in your home
Recently registered Services in your home
What are services in your home?
We register a range of different types of service that may provide you with care in your own home.
The most common is home care agencies, where carers visit people using the service in their homes to help meet a range of needs.
The level of care provided by such agencies can vary hugely and, in some cases, is provided over a full 24-hour day. All types of services in your home
Types of services in your home
Home care agencies
- Carers visit people in their own homes.
- Visits take place at various times throughout the day.
- The number of these agencies is rising.
- Provide medical consultations in your home.
- May also offer consultation with a doctor over the internet.
- Nurses or other healthcare professionals may support the doctor.
- Offer clinical services over the phone, through websites or by email.
- Initial consultation is usually with a registered nurse.
- Services may include advice, diagnosis, prescriptions and referrals.
Our latest findings
From our Care Update...
Our latest Care Update includes details of how well home care services were meeting standards up until the end of last year.
- On 31 December 2012, 94 per cent of the agencies we had inspected were protecting people from the risk of abuse, up from 90 per cent in the previous year.
- At the same point, 89 per cent of inspections showed services were planning and delivering the care that people needed, a three per cent increase.
Read more in our Care Update: Adult social care section.
From 'Not just a number'...
We carried out a themed inspection programme of home care services between April and November 2012.
- The programme saw 250 agencies inspected ranging from those caring for fewer than five people to those providing services to more than 200.
- Overall, we found 184 of these agencies - 74 per cent - were meeting all of the five standards we inspected.
Read more in our Review of home care services.