The Care Quality Commission checks whether hospitals, care homes and care services are meeting government standards. Visit our website at www.cqc.org.uk.
What is a clinic?
There are a range of different types of healthcare clinics in England - offering services such as IVF, cosmetic surgery and advice or treatment to help with family planning or losing weight. All types of clinic
Types of clinic
Family planning clinics
- Provide confidential advice about contraception, sexual health and pregnancy.
- Often offer free emergency contraception or pregnancy tests.
- Provide fitting and checking of intrauterine devices such as coils and hormonal coils.
- Sometimes also offer vasectomy, cervical screening and counselling services.
- Offer advice and treatment to help with weight loss.
- Provided or supervised by a registered doctor.
- Can prescribe medication for reducing weight.
- Provide treatment to terminate a pregnancy.
- Depending on the stage of the pregnancy, this may involve medication or surgery.
- May be run by the NHS, private companies or charitable organisations.
- These procedures may only be carried out in hospitals and licensed clinics with agreement of two doctors.